704507539_Zeqyy-XL.jpg
704508191_BJC9D-XL.jpg
706748421_9UqDu-XL.jpg
706748707_9ywy9-XL.jpg
706748976_xnSEY-XL.jpg

Comments

• XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Did you shot raw or jpeg and how much processing did you do to the pictures?
    I Shoot Canons
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    XHawkeye wrote:
    Did you shot raw or jpeg and how much processing did you do to the pictures?

I shot jpg, did some usm and levels adjustment. Also cropped a couple of them, with 10 being the most severe crop, probably around 50%.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thanks for these Jon. It looks like the S90 is working nicely indeed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 10, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks for these Jon. It looks like the S90 is working nicely indeed.

I really like the camera. It will become my travel camera when the purpose is not photography. I really like the starburst effect.
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    I really like the starburst effect.

Is that something that you do in the camera?
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    Is that something that you do in the camera?

The star effect is caused by the way the light passes through the lens on long exposures. Some lenses create more star points than others. Any camera that can do a long exposure can get that effect. Try out your camera on a dark or darkish street with lots of street lights and then take the shot leaving the shutter open for 10 seconds or more. You'll get the same effect. It is fun to try out with different scenes.
    edited November 10, 2009
    Ridgetop wrote:
    The star effect is caused by the way the light passes through the lens on long exposures. Some lenses create more star points than others. Any camera that can do a long exposure can get that effect. Try out your camera on a dark or darkish street with lots of street lights and then take the shot leaving the shutter open for 10 seconds or more. You'll get the same effect. It is fun to try out with different scenes.

I've seen this when you shoot at f/16ish to f/22 at night, with a low iso on a dslr. Didn't know that the point and shoots could do this so I thought it was a software effect or a camera affect, other than slow shutter speed.

You really got some great images out of this little camera!
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Big thanks
    I liked the star burst effect exposures - looks like Canon have, in P&S terms, produced quite a nice lens there. I remain torn between the S90/G11/LX3/E-P1/GF1 when it comes to a carry anywhere camera. The S90 ad G11 are both very compelling.
    edited November 10, 2009
    Ridgetop wrote:

Some of these are actually short exposure shots. For a DSLR to do that, usually you need to shoot in the f16 or above range. The shots during the day with the starburst of the sun were shot at f8, 1/1600. Its something with the camera, not just technique.

Number 8 was taken from a moving boat so long exposure is not doing it.
    edited November 10, 2009
    Internaut wrote:
    I liked the star burst effect exposures - looks like Canon have, in P&S terms, produced quite a nice lens there. I remain torn between the S90/G11/LX3/E-P1/GF1 when it comes to a carry anywhere camera. The S90 ad G11 are both very compelling.

I went back and forth on the G11 or S90. Since I wanted something small that can fit in pockets, I went with the s90. I played around with the G11 at Best Buy today just to see it and it does have more dials for quick setting changes, but I still like the S90 because of how small it was. If I didn't already have DSLR's and wanted more of a camera in terms of it being my full time camera, I would go with the G11.
    edited November 10, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    Some of these are actually short exposure shots. For a DSLR to do that, usually you need to shoot in the f16 or above range. The shots during the day with the starburst of the sun were shot at f8, 1/1600. Its something with the camera, not just technique.

Number 8 was taken from a moving boat so long exposure is not doing it.

I think on these point and shoots, the smallest aperture is f/8 so it's probably akin to something above f/16 on an slr?