Veteran's Day

Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in People
(Not sure if this should go here or Street.)
I was going through some old shots from my XTI and found this one.
A couple of us had gone out in hopes of getting a shot of Dan (a Veteran). He never removed the flag from his chair. He was not feeling well and was sleeping under a tarp draped over some shopping carts. Her name is Kate and I believe the owner of the wheelchair, Dan, has since passed. At the time of this photo Kate and Dan were newlyweds. They were not bothered by the local police. I think they had gotten to know most of them. She did tell us that they never went without a meal and were not at all upset with where their lives had gone.

4087313143_656bc50d2e.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    No words. Thank you for the post.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    There is nothing I can say, I can only stare at this photo and its meanings, apparent and hidden....Thank you very much for sharing this picture with us.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    This is a wonderful post for Veteran's Day. Thank you.
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thank you all for your comments. Please remember all of our Veterans and their sacrifices.
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thank you. A very meaningful photo.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    This is such a strong image. Thanks for sharing it. I work at a Veterans hospital here in Ontario. Tomorrow is a very special day. Don't ever forget.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    glennp wrote:
    Thank you. A very meaningful photo.
    You are very welcome. It was a pleasure to meet her.
    Patti wrote:
    This is such a strong image. Thanks for sharing it. I work at a Veterans hospital here in Ontario. Tomorrow is a very special day. Don't ever forget.
    I hope that no one ever forgets the sacrifices that were/are made daily by our veterans.

What I didn't post was that Dan had only one leg and he used that one to get himself around town on his wheelchair.