First Macro shots(bee, spiders, flower, stick)

afroedafroed Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 19, 2009 in Holy Macro
I just join this forum for two reasons: this macro section and Lord V. I was a big follower of Lord V.'s work on flickr but I stop using flickr now since you are here, I might as well join in to learn a few things from a master. I've been reading your tutorials here but I haven't put them into fruition yet. I entered the macro world with a Tamron Di 90 about a week ago. It's been a challenge so far but I think I'm improving. Please all comments and criticisms will be highly appreciated.:thumb

#1: Bumble Bee
info: handheld, f8, 1/100, iso400, on-camera flash
buzz-i-fit.jpg
#2: Orchard Spider

info: handheld, f5.6 (extension tube), iso400, 1/80
spider-i-fit.jpg
#3: Black-Eyed Susan
info: handheld, f8, 1/125, iso200
yellow%20flower%20i-fit.jpg
#4: Walking Sticks
info: handheld, f9, 1/100, iso800
walking-stick-fit.jpg
#5: Golden Silk Spider
Info: handheld, f5, 1/80 iso200
giant-spider-fit.jpg

PS: Feel free to visit my photoblog too for more pictures: http://dailypictureproject.com (Shameless promo :ivar)

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Welcome to the forum :)
    Good series of shots with the new lens.

Some overexposure on some of them - With the camera in manual mode and using the flash - more normal settings would be ISO100, F11, 1/200th. with a 1:1 lens. If you were trying for a more balanced fill flash look then it is probably easier in Av or Tv modes but you may need to set some -ve EC and -ve FEC (say both at -.66)

Brian V.
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    These are good. I hate spiders, but love pics of them. Numbers 2 and 5 are my favs of this set. Fine job. I like it here for viewing the work of lots of great photogs, and Lordv is one of them.....
    thumb.gifagree
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Hey you did share some... cool!
    #5 is is excellent, love the fall colored leaf (looks like its trying to remove it from it's web?) and the back ground. I like your walking sticks, a hard one to get cause those palmetto leafs reflect lots of light. I got to play with a nikon version of the Tamron 90 nice lens sharp and you can use it for other things beside macro. Looking forward to seeing more.
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 19, 2009
    good shots, like the last spider best, nice light and composition.

try wrapping a piece of white plastic milk container handle over pop up flash to diffuse it .
    phil