Wandering Eye

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited November 14, 2009 in People
I need some Photoshop advice with this portrait. I was doing some architectural photography for this designer, and she surprised me by asking me to do a head shot for her. Normally I don't shoot people, but I didn't want to tell her to go to someone else. This image is a straight conversion to jpg. No editing has been done yet (other than the crop). Can anyone help me with her left (right side in the image) eye? It tends to wander toward her nose, and she's a bit sensitive about it. I have CS3.

Moderator, I put this in "People" instead of "Technique" cause I thought I'd get more response. It's OK if you need to move it, but give me the advice first :wink .

705922057_oUeAu-O.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    You can use the clone stamp to move the iris over. You can clone the pupil over (just don't let up on the brush while doing it), and then fix the edges using the other eye and setting the width offset to -100% in the clone source window (windows->clone source). This was based on CS4, I'm assuming CS3 has the clone source options.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    IceBear: Is her sensitivity one of making sure that the weak eye is not very noticeable in photos or, as some I've worked with in the past with similar appearance concerns, they don't want it to be "over corrected" since everyone is fully aware that the issue exists and they don't want it to be fake. I have had people for instance with severe acne ask that it not be pp'd out since that is who they are.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited November 10, 2009
    Does the shot need to be head on? If she looked away at 7/8's wouldn't that reduce the noticeability, and help overall w/o any fakery?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    IceBear: Is her sensitivity one of making sure that the weak eye is not very noticeable in photos or, as some I've worked with in the past with similar appearance concerns, they don't want it to be "over corrected" since everyone is fully aware that the issue exists and they don't want it to be fake. I have had people for instance with severe acne ask that it not be pp'd out since that is who they are.

I agree with you in principle, but most subjects wouldn't object to looking like they CAN look on a good day. A couple years ago on DGrin someone actually posted a shot of a young woman at some religious service in a rapturous pose. She had an unfortunately acne-scarred face. The photog was pretty proud of the baby's-bottom-smooth "after" version he posted, but was having some issues with color balance. Most of the responses told him not to worry about the color balance, but that he'd really overdone the "clean-up" and opined that she probably wouldn't appreciate it.

In this case, it's a "wandering eye" not a "cross-eyed" thing. So it's intermittent. Fixing it wouldn't create an artificial look for her.
    John :
    edited November 10, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Does the shot need to be head on? If she looked away at 7/8's wouldn't that reduce the noticeability, and help overall w/o any fakery?

You're absolutely right. It is a wee bit too head-on for me, but it is what it is. Actually, I have some nice shots where the camera is on her left cheek, and the eyes aren't wonky. It's only when she looks to her right that it shows up. "Now she tells me!" But, I prefer this short lit shot to the broad lit images I got when she faced to her right.

Anyway, we didn't have much time (she had a plane to catch) and I had this nice beige wall, and a window to her left. I set up a reflector to her right, and took my shots. There just wasn't any way to accomplish any more in the time we had.

No do-overs 'cause she's from out of town. SO . . . I'm trying to fix this one.
    John :
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I use a crop sensor camera that gains 1.6X the focal length and have noticed this effect even at 50mm with some clients. Using a longer focal length can help, but if it is still noticable Id suggest adjusting the iris...pupil and all to correct it. It would be a simple fix (much easier than using a left eye to correct for a closed right eye for instance) and if done correctly could only strengthen the relationship with your client. Zoom to 100% in photoshop and take your time.thumb.gif

Hint....I bet you could get help with the edit if you ask and allow access to the full resolution file.mwink.gif
    edited November 10, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I use a crop sensor camera that gains 1.6X the focal length and have noticed this effect even at 50mm with some clients.

Hint....I bet you could get help with the edit if you ask and allow access to the full resolution file.mwink.gif

This one was shot at 65mm (100mm eq) and I shot others, albeit from the other cheek, with a Tamron 90mm macro lens (135mm eq). That Tamron is actually a sweet portrait lens, but my back was literally against the wall!

Yeah, I know there are lots of folks here who would do a super job on it, but I'm kinda a "mybyself" type.
    John :
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Icebear wrote:
    This one was shot at 65mm (100mm eq) and I shot others, albeit from the other cheek, with a Tamron 90mm macro lens (135mm eq). That Tamron is actually a sweet portrait lens, but my back was literally against the wall!

Yeah, I know there are lots of folks here who would do a super job on it, but I'm kinda a "mybyself" type.

My oldest daughter had surgery to correct this at 3 years of age. It was a successful detachment and re-attachment of eye muscles to do the trick. Her's was quite severe.

Photoshop can fix this shot though. My comment about focal length was meant more to say that the effct can be induced by shorter focal lengths (and close subject to camera distance) with some folks who normally wouldn't seem to have a lazy eye.

Do share your edit!!!thumb.gif
    edited November 10, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Do share your edit!!!thumb.gif

OK! Here 'tis. It was fun toggling back and forth between layers, watching her eyeball wiggle around.

709681681_k56hg-XL.jpg
    John :
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Your edit link isn't showing up. Red X box.

But what I would do is first off make a duplicate layer...use the lasso tool at feather 10px, select the entire iris and some surrounding white, hit ctrl J to make a new layer with the selection and then shift it over and mask until I got something I liked. Shouldn't be too hard, actually.
    But there are a thousand ways to skin a cat, and photoshop has a million ways to do things.
    Hope your edit and method worked out
    edited November 11, 2009
    Does that work better?
    John :
    edited November 11, 2009
    Did you post the right image? The new one has some skin work, some clarity and color balance, but the eye seems pretty much in the same position. The eyes pop a bunch nicer now, but the position is still slightly askew it seems.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 11, 2009
    I'm just a subtle kind of guy.
    John :
    edited November 11, 2009
    Icebear wrote:
    I'm just a subtle kind of guy.
    :D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 13, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    The eyes pop a bunch nicer now, but the position is still slightly askew it seems.

OK, this comment bugged me for a couple days now, so I went back and did a little more eye surgury. nod.gif

712291239_kjq9g-O.jpg
    John :
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    The pupil on the right looks larger to me. Maybe it is just the angle. ne_nau.gif Nice shot though!
    edited November 14, 2009
    This last one looks good to me.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site