710151158_rzvog-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Travis,
    For me, this one just misses aside from the softness or slightly OOF. Maybe if the little girl had been looking at the icecream, then yes--but she's looking up, likely at the server and it's kind of a bland expression.

What I love is her little spoon in hand, she's ready, and the mom's CC in hand--Credit card for icecream! times are hard.

looking at it again--not sure if that's a parent as she seems to be wearing an apron?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Travis,
    For me, this one just misses aside from the softness or slightly OOF. Maybe if the little girl had been looking at the icecream, then yes--but she's looking up, likely at the server and it's kind of a bland expression.

What I love is her little spoon in hand, she's ready, and the mom's CC in hand--Credit card for icecream! times are hard.

looking at it again--not sure if that's a parent as she seems to be wearing an apron?

Huh?! She's looking at the ice cream display - and if that's a bland expression I'm terrified by the thought of what you consider excited!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

This is a lovely image...I'd try to burn in the display cabinet some....but otherwise...very nice...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    It's a little soft but enjoy it anyway! :D

709310243_qaobV-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Soft? Maybe the ice cream is soft...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif ...seriously, guys, some of you are so into this digital razor blade stuff you're missing the images. Go spend an hour with Robert Frank's "The Americans," or some of Cartier-Bresson's images, and then tell me about "soft." The question's isn't 'can this image slice my corneas?' It's 'does this image move me?' If the answer's "no," then it doesn't matter if it would win this year's Japanese Camera Manufacturer's Association Award for Sharpest Images Ever Produced By A Digicam" - it goes in the Fugedaboutit" bin. But if the answer's "yes," then then sharpness, focus, exposure questions only matter if they're so far off they result in distraction. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Travis,

Thank you for the time to comment, Liz. Everyone's opinions are appreciated!
    Travis
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I know just how that little girl feels!

This image made me smile when I saw it.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Soft? Maybe the ice cream is soft...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif ...seriously, guys, some of you are so into this digital razor blade stuff you're missing the images. Go spend an hour with Robert Frank's "The Americans," or some of Cartier-Bresson's images, and then tell me about "soft." The question's isn't 'can this image slice my corneas?' It's 'does this image move me?' If the answer's "no," then it doesn't matter if it would win this year's Japanese Camera Manufacturer's Association Award for Sharpest Images Ever Produced By A Digicam" - it goes in the Fugedaboutit" bin. But if the answer's "yes," then then sharpness, focus, exposure questions only matter if they're so far off they result in distraction. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Um... well... it is soft isn't it? :D

Seriously, though, I think you know I don't have a problem posting a soft image if I believe there's something there. I felt strongly enough about this blurry shot that I put it in front of the Board of Laser Using Razor Ready Yeomen (B.L.U.R.R.Y.). thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I know just how that little girl feels!

This image made me smile when I saw it.

Virginia
    Thanks Virginia. I was doing some food shots for restaurant last week and the owner asked me to take a few shots at his other place -- a Coldstone Creamery. What a lovely place it is... iloveyou.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Huh?! She's looking at the ice cream display - and if that's a bland expression I'm terrified by the thought of what you consider excited!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

This is a lovely image...I'd try to burn in the display cabinet some....but otherwise...very nice...

It was my opinion when I saw this image. Perhaps being part of this forum has me over analyzing all the images.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thank you, B. D., for defending the soft image. I'm sure you remember the '70s! BOY! Were some of those shots soft or what? I just found a book on the Pirelli Calendars, and some of those '70s shots looked like they were shot through several #3 difusion filters. And I did my fair share of diffused fashion shots back in the '80s. I love sharp images as much as the next guy, but the soft ones are just as good!

I love this shot, Thoth. The little gal's expression is priceless; it's as if she's seeing more ice cream than she's ever seen before in her life! I do agree that the display case should be burned in a little, too. The hard part about that, though, will be the reflections of the lights.

Wonderful photo! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Thank you, B. D., for defending the soft image. I'm sure you remember the '70s! BOY! Were some of those shots soft or what? I just found a book on the Pirelli Calendars, and some of those '70s shots looked like they were shot through several #3 difusion filters. And I did my fair share of diffused fashion shots back in the '80s. I love sharp images as much as the next guy, but the soft ones are just as good!

I love this shot, Thoth. The little gal's expression is priceless; it's as if she's seeing more ice cream than she's ever seen before in her life! I do agree that the display case should be burned in a little, too. The hard part about that, though, will be the reflections of the lights.

Wonderful photo! thumb.gif
    Thank you for the kind words, Lee. I'll try and get that counter burned in a bit in the morning. The light reflections are completely blown, though, so I may have a little trouble with it. We'll see what the day brings, though! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    I like this one. It's about the moment, not about perfection. It's a classic moment - captured.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    I'm with B.D., this is a very nice image. It shows a very recognizable childhood enthusiasm. I wouldn't have even thought about softness if it hadn't come up in the comments.

I did wonder about a square crop, left. Looked good to me when I held my hand over the right side.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thank you for very much Sara and Rutt. I'm glad you like the shot. thumb.gif
    rutt wrote:
    I did wonder about a square crop, left. Looked good to me when I held my hand over the right side.
    I was thinking the same thing myself. I've uploaded a new burned in copy into the original post and here is a square version. I like it.

709310243_qaobV-L-2.jpg
    Travis
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thank you for very much Sara and Rutt. I'm glad you like the shot. thumb.gif

I was thinking the same thing myself. I've uploaded a new burned in copy into the original post and here is a square version. I like it.

709310243_qaobV-L-2.jpg

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks Virginia. I was doing some food shots for restaurant last week and the owner asked me to take a few shots at his other place -- a Coldstone Creamery. What a lovely place it is... iloveyou.gif

Wow! Is everyone over analyzing this one, and boy are we hooked on the razor look. I'll grant you I may need new glasses. But this shot didn't even strike me as "soft" until everyone started yammering about it. To my old eyes there's a thin plane of focus that includes the design on the child's shirt up through her mouth. Yes, it's narrow, and yes there's some motion blurr, but so what?!?rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Wow! Is everyone over analyzing this one, and boy are we hooked on the razor look. I'll grant you I may need new glasses. But this shot didn't even strike me as "soft" until everyone started yammering about it. To my old eyes there's a thin plane of focus that includes the design on the child's shirt up through her mouth. Yes, it's narrow, and yes there's some motion blurr, but so what?!?rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I don't think anyone's complaining about it anymore are they? ne_nau.gif That bit of motion blur is what I was referring to initially but, like has been said, it's not a big deal.
    Travis
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    The square crop really works! It keeps our focus right on the little girl's enthusiasm. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    The square crop really works! It keeps our focus right on the little girl's enthusiasm. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia
    Thanks Virginia. I agree that the square crop works much better.
    Travis
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    The square crop and the burning (very well done, I might add) take this image from wonderful right on up to fantastic! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    The square crop and the burning (very well done, I might add) take this image from wonderful right on up to fantastic! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Thanks again, Lee!
    Travis
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Very nice now. But I think it's a better idea to leave the original and post the revision separately so people can see the evolution. Else the discussion doesn't make much sense.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Very nice now. But I think it's a better idea to leave the original and post the revision separately so people can see the evolution. Else the discussion doesn't make much sense.
    That's probably a smart idea. I was trying to be efficient and keep my gallery clean. :D I'll keep that in mind for next time, though.
    Travis
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    That's probably a smart idea. I was trying to be efficient and keep my gallery clean. :D I'll keep that in mind for next time, though.
    Loved the original, and the new one as well.
    I keep a hidden scrapbin gallery around to put stuff that isn't in the desired form.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Loved the original, and the new one as well.
    I keep a hidden scrapbin gallery around to put stuff that isn't in the desired form.
    Thanks, Andrew, for the comment and the suggestion.
    Travis
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I think the spoon and the expression says it all.

Great picture!

I wonder if you have a version in colour?

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I think the spoon and the expression says it all.

Great picture!

I wonder if you have a version in colour?

thumb.gif

- Wil
    I never actually made an effort to process in color as it wasn't that interesting to me. So, for this shot at least, B&W is it. thumb.gif Thanks for the kind words!
    Travis