Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Hey Tony....... Nice shot.........What tribe is this guy with????:D azzaro
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hey Tony....... Nice shot.........What tribe is this guy with????:D azzaro
    I have no idea. The event was sponsored by the American Indian Association. I don't think it was a tribal meeting; I think it was open to anyone with Indian heritage. Some of the people there looked like the heritage was fractional. A bit like the Scottish Games or a St Patrick's Day event, you see people there with some ancestral tie to a particular group that are not full-blooded members of the group.

I was there for the photographic opportunity. I like photographing people. Here's another shot, and of someone that does look the part no matter how diluted the claim to being an "Indian".

708026864_gXtKr-XL.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Howdy Tony,

Really love both shots, we've attended a few PowWows and have always had a hard time separating the Dancer or person because the background was so busy.

In you images you've done such a good job of keeping the main focus on the Subject, and very good details and lighting.

Are these from Florida?

Look forward to seeing more if you have them.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Tony,

Really love both shots, we've attended a few PowWows and have always had a hard time separating the Dancer or person because the background was so busy.

In you images you've done such a good job of keeping the main focus on the Subject, and very good details and lighting.

Are these from Florida?

Look forward to seeing more if you have them.
    These were taken at the Orlando Fair Grounds.

All of these were shot with me sitting on the ground and aiming up at the subject in order to get nothing but sky in the background. I used my 200mm lens, Aperture mode, metering set to "Spot" because the sky would over-expose with Matrix. I used fill-flash on some with my in-camera flash and a Gary Fong "Puffer" diffuser.

I'm in love with that Puffer. $19.95 in any camera store, and it fits in the camera hot shoe. I don't like to carry a bunch of stuff when I'm people shooting, so this is more convenient than an external flash and diffuser. I barely notice it when it's on the camera.

Post is done first in RAW in Bridge and then in Photoshop CS4 with a tweak to levels, a run through Shadows and Highlights with the midtones to 15, and Luminosity Sharpening. Quick and simple.

Here's one more:

708026993_rnDtX-XL.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hey Tony,

I agree with Craig. Very nice job here thumb.gif
    Randy