Metropolis Incarnadine

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited November 14, 2009 in Landscapes
Time flies, and so does inspiration. After nine very full months in Wonderland, countless breathtaking sunrises and sunsets, a million unique faces passing in the burgeoning city streets, only three views remain:

709041867_LUtaS-XL-1.jpg

688554170_YXYbN-L.jpg

634647051_DxvGg-L-1.jpg

Like the swooping struts of the Golden Gate, opportunity and inspiration wax and wane. The fog and the light are ever-changing, rising and falling like the waves, the tide, and the moon.

I've been up, down, and waiting, but what a glorious place this is to be!

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 10, 2009
    Nice shots, Schmoo. But that second one is.... bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Yea....number 2...number 2....actually all are nice Schmoo.....hey...did I mention #2?...that is very cool....sure wish to visit SF again...what a place for photography! :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    +1: great photos.

-1: that I have to use a dictionary to understand the title (that's a -1 directed at me - and the public education system - not you) :D

I like the strong vertical lines and compressed look of the first shot, great incarnadine colors. The second one is outstanding too like others have said, the moon adds a good deal to it IMO. I also like the comp on the third one though I may have experimented with a longer exposure to try and make the water more glass-like.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thanks guys and esp for the feedback! Very good call on the soft water, and I will need to keep that in mind when I'm by the ocean next time. :D

Swartzy et al - come on down, the water's fine! And whenever you do, ping me. thumb.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Outstanding Schmoowings.gif

Now with your new 70-200 lens there will be more views made for suredeal.gif
    I do like number 2 - 2, or should I say also:D
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Wow, great series. That is the most beautiful shot I have seen of the golden gate, just plain Exceptional! I love the cityscape too with a cresent moon as the icing on the cake.

Well done.
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thank folks! Yes we were on Treasure Island (or is it Yerba Buena?) to shoot the sunset and with all the fog I was pretty sure it would be a waste. For some strange reason we didn't just go get dinner, but we sat and waited. And then just as the lower clouds started to get some sunset action the fog broke enough to show the moon for a brief moment. Talk about lucky timing.

Marc yes looking forward very much to taking the lens out for it's first real spin this weekend at Land's End. :ivar
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    EPIC stuff! gorgeous colors, and that fog/clouds...whoa....thumb.gif

bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Ah, but what views! Gorgeous and stunningly presented.

ann
  • Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    REALLY, REALLY stunning stuff, Schmoo! And I love that first shot that reminds me of the few times I was in SF. Your website, too, is nicely put together. Great job. What kind of equipment are you using?
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
    edited November 13, 2009
    REALLY, REALLY stunning stuff, Schmoo! And I love that first shot that reminds me of the few times I was in SF. Your website, too, is nicely put together. Great job. What kind of equipment are you using?
    Thanks so much, Mark! I love your portfolio, too especially as I am all thumbs when it comes to shooting people. :D

The love of my life is my 5DmII. The fog shot was (as Ron noticed lol3.gif ) shot at something crazy like ISO 1000, I think, because between my husband and myself we only had one tripod and he was busy using it. But the fog was moving fast so it had to be done, and it had to be handheld. But with technology these days, ISO 1000 ain't too bad.

I am a lazy photographer, meaning that as much as I'd love to tote around a set of split grad ND filters and a full array of lenses, batteries, cards, my strobe, an IR body, etc. most of it gets left at home. Sometimes (like this one) I don't even bother bringing the tripod. The moral of this is.. don't do what I do! :D
  • RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Absolutely stunning!

When I opened the thread and saw th first pic I....bowdown.gif
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/