Self portrait

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited November 13, 2009 in People
Decided to try a SP with my D700 in celebration of my 45th birthday.

709456183_unKTC-L.jpg

Comments

• laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Nicely done! clap.gif I've never shot a self portrait, I'm much too critical on all fronts....
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Happy Birthday Mitchell!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif ....today was my wife's birthday too.

...and the SP is well done. Those in the know understand that it can be challenging to pull off a nice....sharp....SP.thumb.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I'm impressed! Your eyes look incredible. Happy birthday.

Caroline
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I, too, am impressed with the sharpness and clarity. Nice job. The eyes in particular draw me in, in part b/c they look "different". I think you must have been in very bright light and the pupils are so contracted that they are essentially masked by the catchlights (either that or you've got relatively opaque contacts in mwink.gif).

Happy b-day,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    …er, um, well…

With The Greatest of Respect: (and don't forget we're all friends here in DGPF-land…)

1. Need to use a longer focus lens… (because er, um, yes well, just because!)

2. Your eyes look like there are no pupils… …sort of cataract-ish eek7.gif

So, where are your pupils?

Many happy returns… thumb.gif

- Wil

"What are birthdays anyway? Here today, gone tomorrow…" Eeyore :cry
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I think it looks great! And I think it's wonderful that you took an SP on your birthday. Happy Birthday! clap.gif

PS - Are you wearing scrubs?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I think it looks great! And I think it's wonderful that you took an SP on your birthday. Happy Birthday! clap.gif

PS - Are you wearing scrubs?

Scrubs are my usual attire on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, my OR days.

Thanks for the kind words. I thought the blue scrubs would look good with my eyes.mwink.gif
    edited November 10, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    …er, um, well…

With The Greatest of Respect: (and don't forget we're all friends here in DGPF-land…)

1. Need to use a longer focus lens… (because er, um, yes well, just because!)

2. Your eyes look like there are no pupils… …sort of cataract-ish eek7.gif

So, where are your pupils?

Many happy returns… thumb.gif

- Wil

"What are birthdays anyway? Here today, gone tomorrow…" Eeyore :cry

Thanks for looking Wil.

What focal length do you use for self portraits. I shot this with an 85mm lens on a full frame camera. As it is, it was tough enough to focus at that focal length. Much longer would have been tougher. What would the longer length added to the shot?

The pupil issue didn't hit me until the comments here. I agree my eyes look a bit odd with the pupils fully constricted. I suspect I was running into the dark garage and then sat down looking out the bright opening of the garage when this shot was taken. The large catchlight just obscures my small pupils. A period of adjustment would have helped.
    edited November 10, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Happy Birthday Mitchell!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif ....today was my wife's birthday too.

...and the SP is well done. Those in the know understand that it can be challenging to pull off a nice....sharp....SP.thumb.gif

Thanks, Jeff. Send my regards to your wife. Any photos of the birthday girl today?:D

Self portraits are fun. Loads of blurry shots with lousy composition all tossed with the hope of finding one decent photo.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I've never posted in the people forum before but Happy Birthday Mitch. It's funny that I was just sitting here with some lighting equipment that I just purchased and was trying to take a self portrait when I came across your post.

Hope you had a great day!

Oh, and good job on the SP. It turns out to be a good way to get some exercise. Set up, shoot, chimp, adjust, repeat ... a lot!
    edited November 10, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thanks for looking Wil.

What focal length do you use for self portraits. I shot this with an 85mm lens on a full frame camera. As it is, it was tough enough to focus at that focal length. Much longer would have been tougher. What would the longer length added to the shot?

The pupil issue didn't hit me until the comments here. I agree my eyes look a bit odd with the pupils fully constricted. I suspect I was running into the dark garage and then sat down looking out the bright opening of the garage when this shot was taken. The large catchlight just obscures my small pupils. A period of adjustment would have helped.

85 to 100 or so on a full-frame is ideal, but how far away from the camera were you? If you're too close you tend to get a distortion not unlike that when using a wide-angle lens; in other words the relative sizes of objects (noses, ears, chins) are distorted. It's been my experience when taking self portraits, that in order to get the camera far enough away for the perspective to be realistic, you need to put the camera on a tripod or table or something. When you try to hand-hold for self-portraits, if you're using a wide-angle lens there will be distortion (although it will be easy to focus), and if you're using a longer lens, then it will be difficult to focus as you will be holding the lens too close, unless the lens is a macro or micro (in the case of Nikkor).

The first thing which struck me about your picture was the absence of pupils. The relative size/scale thing only occurred to me after I started thinking about how you took the picture.

- Wil

PS: Perhaps I should have said "camera further away from you" rather than "use longer focal-length lens"
    edited November 11, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    85 to 100 or so on a full-frame is ideal, but how far away from the camera were you? If you're too close you tend to get a distortion not unlike that when using a wide-angle lens; in other words the relative sizes of objects (noses, ears, chins) are distorted. It's been my experience when taking self portraits, that in order to get the camera far enough away for the perspective to be realistic, you need to put the camera on a tripod or table or something. When you try to hand-hold for self-portraits, if you're using a wide-angle lens there will be distortion (although it will be easy to focus), and if you're using a longer lens, then it will be difficult to focus as you will be holding the lens too close, unless the lens is a macro or micro (in the case of Nikkor).

The first thing which struck me about your picture was the absence of pupils. The relative size/scale thing only occurred to me after I started thinking about how you took the picture.

- Wil

PS: Perhaps I should have said "camera further away from you" rather than "use longer focal-length lens"

Um, interesting input here, Wil. If I look distorted on this shot, that's just the way I'm built.:D

I can assure you that the camera was on a tripod about 12 ft away from me when this was taken. Perhaps the odd crop is not to your liking?
    edited November 11, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Um, interesting input here, Wil. If I look distorted on this shot, that's just the way I'm built.:D

I can assure you that the camera was on a tripod about 12 ft away from me when this was taken. Perhaps the odd crop is not to your liking?

Well, it could be a "left-side" "right-side" thing. Your avatar is from the other side, and talking of faces and symmetry, an interesting exercise is to take a full-on head and shoulders picture and divide it vertically, and flip one side at a time, to see just how different each side of a face can be.

BTW passport pictures have to include your right ear (something about being ears being very distinctive, almost like a finger-print, apparently).

Anyway, I hope you had a great birthday!

- Wil
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 11, 2009
    I'm not seeing the distortion thing at all. ne_nau.gif

I think it looks good! Not crazy about chopping off the top of the head, but I know it's an artistic choice.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited November 11, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I'm not seeing the distortion thing at all. ne_nau.gif

I think it looks good! Not crazy about chopping off the top of the head, but I know it's an artistic choice.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks, Joel.

I'm no artist, but I do know that there's not much to look at when viewing the top of my bald head.rolleyes1.gif That's why I chop it off in an effort to focus on my best feature (my eyes).

The psychology of the self portrait!ne_nau.gif
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Super tack sharp eyes! Great photo...very well done! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Happy birthday, fellow Scorpion (mine was last Monday, the 2nd)!

Agree with much that's been said - you don't know how to take a BAD picture (technically, or in terms of looking great in them). Your eyes are amazing - the complex catchlights bring out the "spoke" pattern and it's really cool! - but I do find the ultra-contracted pupils a little bit disconcerting.... Still, yet another Great Garage Shot mwink.gif:D
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Very nice SP Mitch!...and Happy Birthday bud!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Happy Birthday ! And nice portrait mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Nice Photo & Happy Birthdayclap.gif

Did you use any fill light?

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Decided to try a SP with my D700 in celebration of my 45th birthday.

709456183_unKTC-L.jpg

Was this in your magic garage?? LOve the eyes !!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Hey! I know you. I recognized your name. :D
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Happy Birthday! Nice job with the pic. I understand that a more expensive lens makes you look younger yet! Buy one for yourself as a birthday gift and let us know if it is true...
  • Danny BatesDanny Bates Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2009
    Excellent color and detail, though I kind of second Will's comment about the eyes. I would respect this photo so much more if the eye detail was closer to reality.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Just caught this thread.

Belated Happy Birthday, Mitchell.

Wonderful sp and so appropriate that you did it in your garage and you were in your scrubs. Little details that help make you you!

Virginia

Email
    edited November 13, 2009
    Excellent color and detail, though I kind of second Will's comment about the eyes. I would respect this photo so much more if the eye detail was closer to reality.

I can assure you that my eyes are real as captured by this photo. No added colors or details. The pupils are just constricted due to my looking out at the bright light in the door of the garage.
    edited November 13, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Happy Birthday! Nice job with the pic. I understand that a more expensive lens makes you look younger yet! Buy one for yourself as a birthday gift and let us know if it is true...

I knew I should have taken this photo with my 300mm, f2.8 lens!
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I skipped to the end here, so don't know if i missed anything but just wanted to say Happy Birthday Mitchell...

Great SP, you have compelling eyes!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Belated happy birthday, Mitch!!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site