Canon 7D

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in Cameras
I was thinking about upgrading from my 40D to a 7d. Will I be able to use the batteries and battery pack from my 40D on a 7D. Also this may be a big question which I shouldn't ask, but what and where would I see the most improvement from my 40D to a 7D?
Regards
Bob

Comments

• ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I was thinking about upgrading from my 40D to a 7d. Will I be able to use the batteries and battery pack from my 40D on a 7D.
    I don't think so since I know my 50D stuff isn't compatible.

Edit: Comparison chart can be seen here: http://balancedart.com/canon-dslr-comparison.htm
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I've made the same upgrade and to answer your question; no the batteries are not compatible. Technically the memory cards are, but at 18MP, I had to replace my 4GB Extreme 3's with 8GB Extreme 4's.

I love my 40D, but have 90,000 clicks and needed to upgrade.
    I've found the biggest improvements are the 19 point AF system, the high- res LCD, the micro adjustment AF, Video(if you want that), 8 FPS up from 6.5, better ISO performance, weather sealing, copyright info in Exif data.
    Shall I continue?
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    zack75144 wrote:
    I've made the same upgrade and to answer your question; no the batteries are not compatible. Technically the memory cards are, but at 18MP, I had to replace my 4GB Extreme 3's with 8GB Extreme 4's.

I love my 40D, but have 90,000 clicks and needed to upgrade.
    I've found the biggest improvements are the 19 point AF system, the high- res LCD, the micro adjustment AF, Video(if you want that), 8 FPS up from 6.5, better ISO performance, weather sealing, copyright info in Exif data.
    Shall I continue?

Thanks for the reply Zack. Like you I love my 40D but from what you say the 7D is obviously a better camera in every respect. I am a wee bit disappointed as I have half a dozen batteries and a battery pack for my 40D.
    Regards
    Bob
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Zack. Like you I love my 40D but from what you say the 7D is obviously a better camera in every respect. I am a wee bit disappointed as I have half a dozen batteries and a battery pack for my 40D.
    Regards
    Bob

Honesty batteries are not a big deal unless you have several cameras and/or go on 20-100hr shoots.
  • bobwbobw Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I know not everyone can or even wants to when they upgrade, but I kept my 40D(also my dust magnet 30D) when I got my 7D. I have 2 batteries for each one but only 2 different chargers. I haven't had time to really get used to the 7D yet but I already like it a lot more than the 40D.
    BobW
    Dallas,Tx
    Canon gear and Manfrotto tripods
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I made the move from the 40D to the 7D primarily for the AF improvement sensor improvement and dual Digic IV chips. The 100% viewfinder coverage, micro-adjust AF, 1080p 24fps video, and 8fps burst sweetened the deal.

At the end of the day I am not making images with the 7D that are dramatically better than my 40D, but I am happier overall with the 7D.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • tzippletzipple Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I was thinking about upgrading from my 40D to a 7d. Will I be able to use the batteries and battery pack from my 40D on a 7D. Also this may be a big question which I shouldn't ask, but what and where would I see the most improvement from my 40D to a 7D?
    Regards
    Bob

The 7D has lot of advantages, but for most photos, you could not tell the difference between the 40D shot and the 7D shot.
  • Jack90210Jack90210 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2009
    I'd be curious to know the difference between the two in low-light situations.

And what's the AF improvement on the 7D?
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Jack90210 wrote:
    I'd be curious to know the difference between the two in low-light situations.

And what's the AF improvement on the 7D?

The Google knows all: click me
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    tzipple wrote:
    The 7D has lot of advantages, but for most photos, you could not tell the difference between the 40D shot and the 7D shot.

Doesn't sound like a lot of advantages to me. mwink.gif

Truth is, I think you will definitely notice a difference. I am a Nikon guy but after spending 20 minutes with a 7D I was blown away...a mini 5D MK2, no doubt.
  • Philip GohPhilip Goh Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Doesn't sound like a lot of advantages to me. mwink.gif

QFT mwink.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Regards
    Bob
    1) Batteries are not compatible with previous x0D line (BP-11A), but they are compatible with new 5D2
    2) 40D --> 7D
    Improvements are all over, hard to pick one, we all have our pet pieves...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"