Nikon suggestions?

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited November 15, 2009 in Cameras
I thinking about making the switch to Nikon.. Need suggestions for camera body/lenses... switching for a couple reasons, not going to say why because it will start an argument. Just need advice.

budget if all sells will be around $2000... right now I have around $600 of that $2000...

equipment suggested should be good for seniors and portraits...

I was thinking D300/D200 + Sigma 50 1.4...

Thanks!
Jeremy
Jer

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009

Sounds good. I would go with the D300 since you have the cash.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    D300. I know people with D200s who wish they had the D300. I love mine. Although, I lust after the D700. I have the trusty Nikkor 1.8 50mm, and the Tamron 2.8 28-75. They get the job done for my portrait work. I won't go into the lenses I lust after.

Caroline
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Would the D300s be a better choice over a D300... I know its newer and has some nice features like... HD video... but I don't really need that... its also $200 more than the refurb D300 I saw.
    Jer
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I thinking about making the switch to Nikon.. Need suggestions for camera body/lenses... switching for a couple reasons, not going to say why because it will start an argument. Just need advice.

budget if all sells will be around $2000... right now I have around $600 of that $2000...

Thanks!
    Jeremy

I would go D90 + 50mm 1.8 + 17-55mm DX
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I really like my 2 D300's......I have not read or heard anything that would make me want a D300s......if I want video I will buy a video cam......I have video on my Konica Minolta A2 and I have only used it once.....I am just not a video type.......

D300 + 70-200f2.8 (siggy) and a 17-80 (siggy ) or the 18-200 nikon or the 18-70 nikon + the above 70-200.......these will cover you for all portrait and wedding shooting........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    D300 and 85 f1.8 would be a good combo.

Are you looking to buy the D300 used or new? My buddy got a used one with 3,000 shutter actuations with a grip for $1,100 so there are deals out there.
    edited November 11, 2009
    D300 and 85 f1.8 would be a good combo.

Are you looking to buy the D300 used or new? My buddy got a used one with 1,100 shutter actuations with a grip for $1,100 so there are deals out there.

I'm looking for a used one.. what your buddy got sounds exactly like what I would like... except I don't need the grip, but it would be a plus!
    Jer
  • GrOuNd PePpErGrOuNd PePpEr Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 11, 2009

Thanks!
    Jeremy

Hi there,

I would like to advise for you to buy NIkon D90 over D300 instead and use the remainder of the cash for a good lens, say 18-200VR.

The D90 firmware is a much smarter than D300.:)
    edited November 11, 2009
    Hi there,

I would like to advise for you to buy NIkon D90 over D300 instead and use the remainder of the cash for a good lens, say 18-200VR.

I'd rather have magnesium alloy body and weather resistence :D this link tells me why I don't want the D90 over the D300. http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D90-D80-D300-Canon-50D-Compared.shtml#D90_D300
    Jer
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 11, 2009
    Hi there,

IMHO the 18-200 is NOT a good lens. I had one and sold it. The IQ just wasn't up to par.
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    IMHO the 18-200 is NOT a good lens. I had one and sold it. The IQ just wasn't up to par.

Another vote for the D90, image quality is on par with D300s. Save cash and buy the best lens you can afford. Like a 70-200mm (Nikkor or Sigma) or 85mm f/1.4 for portraits.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Hi there,

I have to respectfully disagree here.

The D300 and D90 share sensors, but the D300 is a professional camera. If you are doing this as a profession, you will appreciated the added ruggedness and features of the D300.

As far as the 18-200mm being a good lens, it would certainly not make my top 10 list for portrait glass. I own this lens. While it is nice as a walk-around lens for travel, it is never on my bodies when shooting serious portraits. It's just too slow and optically average. Get some decent, low cost primes and you will be set with the D300.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Welcome to the DARK SIDE

I own a D90 and would agree with most for a pro starter a D300 is the way to go.

lens I would have on my wish list the 105 macro
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited November 13, 2009
    time2smile wrote:
    Welcome to the DARK SIDE

I own a D90 and would agree with most for a pro starter a D300 is the way to go.

lens I would have on my wish list the 105 macro
    Yes thank you for welcoming me to the dark side.

I got a D300 and a 50 1.8 last night... finally sold my 50D! Can't wait for them to arrive!

Now, I'm trying to sell my last lens, and my guitar... If I sell either of them... I'll have $700 more to spend... If I sell both I'll have $1300-$1400 to spend..

So, I need to know if I should get a flash or two, or maybe another lens... or maybe both... I'm not really a telephoto guy, I prefer fast wide angle lenses..

So I guess, I don't mind spending all of the money on a really nice lens. I would prefer to get a flash and a lens because I don't have a flash anymore... which it is a necessity.
    Jer
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    If you like fast and wide Nikon is the place to be. Check out the 14-24mm f2.8. It's pretty awesome :)
    edited November 13, 2009
    Sad news...

Just got an email from the guy I bought the camera from... He tested it out before sending it... it wouldn't turn on... he tried 5 different batteries.. so he gave me a refund for my money... So I need to find another body...
    Jer
    edited November 13, 2009
    If you like fast and wide Nikon is the place to be. Check out the 14-24mm f2.8. It's pretty awesome :)
    hehe ... hehe ... a TAD out of my price range lol... but yes, it looks like a beast! definitely going on my wish list!
    Jer
    edited November 13, 2009
    Seymore wrote:
    Sweeeeeeeet! If you like fast and wide... and now that you possess a cam that will show focus and meter many MF lenses... let me know if you decide to try older MF lenses. Wide can be quite cheap that way. I also must admit that as a general rule, I find sharp MF primes are more of a rule than an exception.
    Hmm... I may be interested... I just gotta find a body to put it on. right now I have a lens that will be in my hands on Monday but no body to take pictures with it!
    Jer
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hi there,

oh I would just love for you to quantify that last statement.

The 18-200 is meant as a lens for someone that has no idea what they're planning to shoot. it's far from a pro piece of kit.

Glad to see you tracked down a 50, the 1.8 is a good piece of glass, no 1.4, but oh well. if you are planning on shooting closer in stuff maybe look into a 17-55(little pricey but decent), longer 70-200 siggy or even better, 80-200 Nikkor which is going to be a little more than the sig, and it's a little older, but it's sharper and just as fast to focus, portraits at 200mm and 2.8 are fun too ;)

if money was no object, D300, 24-70, 70-200...then when you could stomach the extra cost for an UW pick up the 14-24, it is the best wide angle lens made, period. I've seen many of them put on canons with adapters just because there is honestly nothing that touches it.

I'm moving up to full frame for next season personally, but the D300 has served me very well this year...love it to death...I'll be sad to sell it. On that note...I'm selling a D300 and a 70-200 2.8 right now :P
    edited November 14, 2009
    I'm moving up to full frame for next season personally, but the D300 has served me very well this year...love it to death...I'll be sad to sell it. On that note...I'm selling a D300 and a 70-200 2.8 right now :P

Steven, how much you looking for the D300?
    Jer
  • trixtrix Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2009
    Good Glass first.
    As a pro , I will recommend you go for the best glass first . They'll last a life time and keep their value . Bodies will lost there value very fast . When you have a bit more money get a killer body . Full frame D700 or sale your house and get the D3 . Two of them . For videos you asked ... get a video camera .
    Have fun .thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 14, 2009
    trix wrote:
    As a pro , I will recommend you go for the best glass first . They'll last a life time and keep their value . Bodies will lost there value very fast . When you have a bit more money get a killer body . Full frame D700 or sale your house and get the D3 . Two of them . For videos you asked ... get a video camera .
    Have fun .thumb.gif

Trix, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments. While it used to be true that lenses would typically last a human lifetime, the unfortunate reality is that many new lenses are complicated mechanically and sensitive electrically. The likelihood of many of these new lenses lasting a lifetime is probably not better than 50 percent.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 14, 2009
    trix wrote:
    Have fun .thumb.gif
    Trix, welcome to Dgrin!

I don't need video, and I'm going to purchase a D700 when I need a better body, and will keep the D300 as a backup. I would be getting a D700 right now, but I don't need it atm.

Ok, so this is the first time I've heard nikon pronounced like Neekon, is this how its truely pronounced? If so it sounds cognitively disabled. Either way, the DigiTutor (what I'm linking you to) is pretty funny. definitely is worth watching if you need a good laugh.

http://nikonusa.com/Assets/Digital-SLR/25432-Nikon-D300/Video/Digitutor/D300/eng/d300/index.html
    Jer
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Steven, how much you looking for the D300?

I was going to sell it with the 18-70 for $1200...