Bibble 5 Preview 3

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited January 2, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
The latest preview of Bibble is available. It supports .cr2 files from the 7D.

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Linky.

I've never used, nor really looked at Bibble before, but it looks really lightroomy? Is that correct?
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    It's lightroomy + Bridge... i.e. asset management

ivar wrote:
    Linky.

I've never used, nor really looked at Bibble before, but it looks really lightroomy? Is that correct?
  • Philip GohPhilip Goh Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    It still has quite a few rough edges. It's well worth a try though, particularly if you're one of those (rare) photographers who use Linux. It's one of the few commercial RAW converters for that platform.
    edited November 15, 2009
    Dan7312 wrote:
    It's lightroomy + Bridge... i.e. asset management

Just to add a few details.

Just a preface, photography is just a minor adjunct to my business... I do not do photography like most of you do, I just use it to get images I need for some of the things I do, I don't sell images or do work for anyone else. I also do photography just for my own use because I like to. Under no circumstances would anyone mistake me for a professional photographer.

I'm also a tinker/poker... working on something is as interesting to me as what it produces. One of the reasons I use SmugMug is that it allows me to do a lot of tinkering with my site... not that I have had any time to do that, but it's in my plans for the future.:D I'm also blown away by SmugMug's focus on the customer and their support.

I do my work on Vista/64.

I have no way to compare directly LR to Bibble.

All that said here is what I see in using Bibble.

Bibble claims it that is shortens the workflow time to make image adjustments to a large numbers of images. It seems very fast to me. Also, even when I make an adjustment to a single image, it spins up all the cores/hyperthreads on my 4 core system. It queues output, for example when turning raw images into jpegs, and uses mutiple cores/hyperthreads. If I give it a bunch of images to output it can pretty much peg all the processors. Of course a cynical conclusion would be that there a bugs in the code that are wasting a lot of cycles, but I don't think that is the case, I think they doing a pretty good job of harnessing a multi-core environment.

Bibble also does asset management. You can leave files in place or put them into the Bibble database. Of course you can do searches on meta data, ratings, etc. It doesn't seem to lack for any asset management functionality.

Bible is non-destructive, it does not change the raw or jpegs it works on. It's settings are stored in side files and applied when you view the image. You can have multiple different sets of adjustments to the same raw file. The changes are used when it outputs a file.

Bible has layers for adjustment, even when working on raws. The layers are no where near as flexible as those in PS, but the do allow you to pretty easily selectively apply adjustments to just areas of the image you select, even on raws, and to blend adjustments.

Bible includes a limited version of Noise Ninja. If you have a Noise Ninja license you can enable more functionality.

It has all the features, I think, you would expect to apply adjustments to a group of images... that's part of it speed workflow claim. You can save and reuse sets of settings. As far as I can tell pretty much all settings can be saved and reused.

It includes lens correction... it has a pretty good set builtin.

Probably the biggest issue for Bibble is that they are way, way overdue in shipping the final release of version 5. All the core image adjustment stuff seems to work, but at the margins there are issues. For example Bibble includes Perfectly Clear but that does not work in the current version and some of the Noise Ninja features don't work either.

I don't have a feeling for how stable the current preview version is yet, but previous one was stable enough to work with, but not really stable enough for a final release.

Bibble does not input or output DNG. I know one of the uses for DNG is to "future-proof" yourself. Depending on your time or feature horizon I think it helps, but I've been doing computer stuff since long before it was fashionable, and I come to the conclusion that in practice focusing on todays requirements is much more important than focusing on what you think tomorrows will be... but that's just me YMMV.

It supports most of mainstream camera raws seems pretty good, but it doesn't yet support the small raw formats some of the Canon cameras produce, only the full sized ones. Of course is "your" camera is not supported the list doesn't look so good.

edited January 2, 2010
    Bibble Labs has released Bibble5
    Title says it all.... in case there is an interest.