Theatre Shots

fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in People
Hey guys, really looking for some feedback on these shots. Taken during a dress rehearsal for "The Secret Garden". Trying to nail down my exposures and stuff before photocall this Sunday.

http://fullofpaint.smugmug.com/School/The-Secret-Garden/10276910_otrh6

Gear:
40d
70-200 f/2.8
17-85 f/4.0-5.6

All these photos are untouched, haven't had time to really do anything to them yet.

709590739_wSmp4-L.jpg
(They're behind a scrim here, hence the diffusing)
709587789_AGbgr-L.jpg
709595457_mrQDK-L.jpg
709602066_rvmjY-L.jpg
709605102_x885Q-L.jpg
Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
www.timkerigan.com

Comments

• dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I can't really help with your exposure settings since I don't have experience shooting theatre. But, if you haven't seen this it may be interesting to you when you're in post processing. http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23208
  • fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thanks! I saw that thread when I was searching for tips the other day, now I just need to find some time to get all the way through it!
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    These aren't bad at all, although I'd like to see some shot a little looser - you want a mix of close-ups like these and some which give a bit more airspace and context, and which will also capture more of the performers' body language. Don't get me wrong - closeups are good too... it's just nice to have both.

White balance is almost impossible to nail in-camera in this situation - I'd shoot AWB and then adjust it in post. I also find that spot metering helps a LOT with the high contrast stuff - if your camera has a spot meter setting, give it a try.

Also, I see a lot of pretty slow shutter speeds and stopped down (ie 1/50 @f4). In this kind of light, you sometimes have to open right up to try and keep those SS a bit higher - even if you're using a tri- or monopod, you still need to freeze their motion as much as you can. You've got that nice 2.8 telezoom - let it do it's thing! thumb.gif In a perfect world, 1/100 or higher is nice... although not always practical. But since you've got the glass, go for it. Bump up the ISO a little further if you need to (I think the shot I referenced was at 1250 - I've seen theatrical shots with the 40d at 3200 and with some noise work they looked GREAT)

Lastly, make sure you're familiar enough with the piece/staging to catch the "money moments" of expression and dramatic climax. Having shot the show once, you will for sure know it better already - follow through on that and nail the moments that really count.

Nice job so far! thumb.gif
    edited November 10, 2009
    Thanks! Pretty much working on everything you hit. I'd been shooting practices but this was the first time I'd been at it with the lights. Working on the looser stuff, borrowing a better wide angle lens which should help out a lot!

The only problem I'd had with shooting all the way at 2.8 was my DOF killed me, I'd have one actor in focus and the other would be way blurry.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thanks! Pretty much working on everything you hit. I'd been shooting practices but this was the first time I'd been at it with the lights. Working on the looser stuff, borrowing a better wide angle lens which should help out a lot!

The only problem I'd had with shooting all the way at 2.8 was my DOF killed me, I'd have one actor in focus and the other would be way blurry.

How close were you, and how big is the theater? Get a little further back if you can - you've got the tele to zoom in if you really need to go tight (and remember, you can always crop a looser shot, and the shorter focal lengths will give you better DOF by definition). Use the wider end of the 70-200. Yeah, you will lose some DOF, but if you plan your shots right that can be very effective - this is where knowing the staging/play REALLY helps a lot. And then just make sure you crank up the ISO and stop down for some where you need both in sharp focus.

You are shooting in raw, right? If not.... DO!!! You need that latitude with high contrast lighting like you get onstage...

I like to play with angles when I can too - some from front of house, but I also like to get WAY off to the side and fairly close sometimes - can make for a nice effect. As long as the theater's empty, use that space as much as you can.

ETA: Here's a gallery of theater shots i did earlier this year. No claim for perfect (I'm more used to being ONstage than shooting it!) but fwiw.....
    edited November 11, 2009
    For reference:
    686479490_nHLvN-L.jpg
    686479581_8th8q-L.jpg
    Usually in the 2nd/3rd row, once I get closer, I get noticeably lower than the actors, which I don't really care for. I don't want to get right up on anyone yet too, only because they're still in final rehearsals and some of the kids are still somewhat nervous.

I'll probably start playing around with angles on Sunday, that's when I get full control over the cast and can get on stage as well then.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
    edited November 11, 2009
    I'd be shooting from further back than row 3, probably 3 or 4 from the BACK - the steep rake makes it tricky and might pull me down a row or two so it didn't look too "birds-eyes" all the time but even so... give 'em some airspace so you get the whole scene :D

With a thrust stage like that you've got some GREAT angles because you're not restricted by a proscenium. Have fun! thumb.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    divamum wrote:

With a thrust stage like that you've got some GREAT angles because you're not restricted by a proscenium. Have fun! thumb.gif

What she said.headscratch.gifeek7.gif
    edited November 11, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    What she said. headscratch.gifeek7.gif

Proscenium stage=traditional "imaginary fourth wall" theatre, with the audience entirely in front, often with a decorated "proscenium arch" at the front.

Thrust stage=where the stage projects INTO the audience, thus allowing full visibility on three sides.

:D
    edited November 11, 2009
    I need to shoot the pit of this stage actually. That enter stage is actually a set, the original stage is about ten feet back and that proscenium is a fake, really interesting what they did to the theater here.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com