Never done a portrait

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in People
As the title says, I've never done a portrait. I've just purchased a little lighting equipment, just speed light stuff, and was experimenting. I'd love to here your comments on how I can improve this before trying to shoot someone else. This is SOOC since I thought that would be easiest to look at the lighting. It's a speedlight softbox high camera left. Tried getting it near 45 deg from subject and 45 deg high. A gridded flash camera right pretty much straight side lighting. I tried setting the exposure to darken the background and then adjusted speedlights from there.

Thanks in advance for your input.

709863994_mxNa6-L.jpg

(not sure if I should have posted this in Technique. Please move it where ever you think it should go)

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    A couple things: Exposure and color balance....get those right in camera...use the histogram and a grey/white card. The placement of the lights are fine but allow me to suggest using one speedlight to illuminate a bit of the bg and use a reflector (a simple white reflector board will do) on the side opposite your softbox. With 2 speedlights you will have enough power for proper exposure w/one subject at ISO 100...say f/5.6. The closer your light source the softer the light.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Dave:
    1) Expression is solid thumb.gif
    2) Overall the image looks underexposed
    3) They are not called "portrait" for nothing. This is not frigging landscape - turn your camera 90 degrees! deal.gif
    4) The best use of the second light sorce is the hair/rim. Keep your lights in a crossfire pattern: Batterfly + Hair or Rembrandt + Rim. Use a reflector/foamboard/posterboard for fill if needed.
    The second best use is the clamshell, but it's typically for glamour shots, you're not the type; mwink.gif
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    This looks underexposed and soft to me. I like your pose and expression.

I would suggest just using one light for now as you experiment with your new gear. This will allow you to shoot, chimp and make simple changes. In the end, you will better understand what you are doing.

Please ignore Nik's suggestion to put the camera in portrait mode for portraits.:D Rules are made to be broken!
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks guys! Ok, trying to pick up all of the suggestions here's what I've tried:

Set white balance from shooting an 18% gray card using main light. Although, after I took everything down it seemed maybe I should have done it after all of the minor lighting adjustments?

Next set main light to this. Am I still a tad underexposed here?:
    710683284_8hE75-L.jpg

Next set fill light. I'll pick up some whiteboard tomorrow for a reflector. I guessed I would really take a light reading for each of these to get the proper difference but had to wing it.
    710683364_vp6Hi-L.jpg

Next was to choose between lighting the background and trying a hair light. So here's the hair light although I had some trouble with this one as it didn't look quite right:
    710683445_yfy2o-L.jpg

Then a shot with all of these speedlights on:
    710683540_Ro2pr-L.jpg

Next I switched the hair light to lighting the background a little:
    710683740_JJGfH-L.jpg

That's as far as I got. I actually have 4 flashes and could of lit both the background and rim light but needed my poor man's triggers that haven't come in yet.

Nik, sorry about the landscape format but 40 times up and down from the camera just made me want to avoid leaning over sideways to check the camera display. :D

Any input is greatly appreciated.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Hi Dave,

I'll leave the technical comments to the experts, but I'm liking #4 the best. I don't think you need to light up the bg. I also like the first one, but then I like dramatic lighting and I think it suits the subject well.

Virginia

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hi Dave,

I'll leave the technical comments to the experts, but I'm liking #4 the best. I don't think you need to light up the bg.

Virginia
    I agree. thumb.gif
    Told you about the hairlight:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 11, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hi Dave,

I'll leave the technical comments to the experts, but I'm liking #4 the best. I don't think you need to light up the bg. I also like the first one, but then I like dramatic lighting and I think it suits the subject well.

Virginia
    Thanks Virginia. I just realized I still have your set up photo from your Faust shot in May. I recently purchased an umbrella with the removable black cover and still have an idea for this set up. Can't wait to try it.
    edited November 11, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I agree. thumb.gif
    Told you about the hairlight:-) mwink.gif

Thanks Nik. Can't wait to try this with someone that shaves more frequently and doesn't think an old sweatshirt is dressing up!
  • Sublim3Sublim3 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    I actually like the first one but the only thing I would add is a little fill, maybe just a reflector. Your expression and "look" is perfect for that.
    Mitch
    mitcht.smugmug.com
    edited November 11, 2009
    Sublim3 wrote:
    I actually like the first one but the only thing I would add is a little fill, maybe just a reflector. Your expression and "look" is perfect for that.
    Thanks Mitch, I appreciate the feedback.