Here is one in B&W

nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited November 12, 2009 in People
I should hang out on this forum more often. Here is one I wanted to share with you people-photography lovahs!

709884474_hQ5Uv-XL.jpg
Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Nice shot in low lightclap.gif

only nit is that her feet are cut off.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Love the texture & lighting. Her face pops (in a nice way.. :D)

Nice work.

curious as to what the box pattern is on her arm

Rags
    Rags
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Very dramatic with an interesting (in a good way) use of textures (the silky material, the concrete, and that pattern on her arm). Is the arm pattern something you added (post or MUA), or an actual tat?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thanks for the comments! The square-like pattern on her arm was not added in the post-processing. It is something that the makeup artist added to her arm before the shoot. It was a fabric-like material (I think) with square-shaped pattern in it which they painted in red and then wrapped it around her arm. Here is another that was painted in silver and applied on the shoulder/neck area of another model:

703674192_xqq7Q-XL.jpg
    Allen Parseghian

• esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Allen, I love your work. In general, what equipment and post-processing techniques do you use to get the colors (especially with your landscapes)? They almost look like HDRs.
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    esc2476 wrote:
    Allen, I love your work. In general, what equipment and post-processing techniques do you use to get the colors (especially with your landscapes)? They almost look like HDRs.
    Hi Eric,

Thank you! I shoot with Canon 5D Mark II with a polarizing filter, especially for my landscape shots. I have listed all my equipment in detail on my website, if you are interested. Some of my shots are HDR, but not in the traditional sense, and some are not. One thing I cannot stand is an over-processed HDR shot that screams HDR to a point that the photograph looks more like a drawing or an illustration instead of a photograph. We see those on Smugmug's dailies with 6 pages of positive feedback all the time. All I do is shake my head when I see that.

To bring out the color in a photograph, I find myself using "Vibrance" in CS4 a lot which targets the colors that need saturation as opposed to the Saturation feature in the Hue/Saturation adjustment which saturates the entire image equally. After I apply a strong vibrance on my images, I usually have to pull back on the blue and magenta afterwords because vibrance can overdo those 2 colors.

I also experiment with layers blending mode a lot to see what I can get. The 2nd image (color) you see in this image, I used "multiply" for the blending mode to get a more dramatic effect. When you set the blending mode to multiply, your picture will get quite dark at first, what I do is I brighten the image using curves before setting the blending mode to multiply which I have found it to work better than doing it after.

I sometimes use the gradient map adjustment layer on top of my image and play with the blending mode that way too.

You will need to do a lot of local color adjustments with masks too to get all the colors balanced.

Hope this helps.
    Allen Parseghian

• esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Thanks Allen, it certainly does! thumb.gif