ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Interesting subject, but the composition detracts. What about:

710144864_Xetyv-O.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    I dig the conversion but agree that the composition makes it difficult to view. I think I would prefer a crop like this:

710154044_wArKC-O.jpg
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I dig the conversion but agree that the composition makes it difficult to view. I think I would prefer a crop like this:

710154044_wArKC-O.jpg

You're both on the right track - it works as a 'single,' but not as a double. thumb.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Interesting...you fixed the shot by just cropping out all the parts that bothered me. I guess I was thinking having him in the shot told a more complete story. Maybe I need to stop thinking so much and trust my instinct a little more.

Now I need to go back and look at the shots I have of just her.

Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    Interesting...you fixed the shot by just cropping out all the parts that bothered me. I guess I was thinking having him in the shot told a more complete story. Maybe I need to stop thinking so much and trust my instinct a little more.

Now I need to go back and look at the shots I have of just her.

Thanks for the input!

Your original shot does tell the story better, but it's a bit of a mess photographically. mwink.gif If you were assigned by a newspaper to get a shot that 'tells the story,' your original, mess and all, is it. If you want a single, strong image, then you definitely want the crop. Are you going for story telling, or 'art?'ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    What story are you telling here?

I saw Kodō in Boston way back in the mid-1990s and as part of the show, the ōdaiko (Big Drum) was going to be played by a mere woman (yes, I know pre-PC), but in that time, this was going to be a major event, never having happened before etc. etc.

What a great show! Fabulous drummers and enormously entertaining. There were also a couple of Shamisen players as well, truly amazing performance.

So, where was the picture we're seeing here taken?

- Wil

BTW - I think your pic should be left as is, else it just looks like any old drum, whereas the ōdaiko is really something very special! thumb.gif

PS: Do you have a colour version?

Edit: (quote from the web) "The group, then known as Ondekoza, had a powerful impact at its North American debut in the 1970s - running the Boston Marathon and then hopping on a cart to start a full-on taiko performance". I also saw a similar group in the early 1980s; this might have been Ondekoza.
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    If you really want to crop it, then do something like this:
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Are you going for story telling, or 'art?'ne_nau.gif

I am generally going for art...not that I always hit the mark. :D

Wil, these guys perform at EPCOT's Japanese Pavilion. They are very entertaining. It is interesting that two people play the drum at the same time, but now that I think about it more clearly the more interesting story is about the scale of drum vs drummer.

Thanks again for the feedback, here is another shot...in color for Wil.

710620619_zXwde-L.jpg
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Is this the same group that perfomed in Cirque du Soleil's Mystere? I remember seeing a similarly large drum - also with two drummers - descending from the ceiling, the drummers feet on the drum and a sling around each of them. An absolutely incredible performance!

Great shot, and even better with the crop. When I saw the original, though, I immediately thought that it should have been taken from further back and a little higher, thus keeping both drummers (and their feet) and telling the story. Artistically, though, the crop is better.

I live how you captured her in the last shot, though. Powerful!! clap.gif

Way to go! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Is this the same group that perfomed in Cirque du Soleil's Mystere? I remember seeing a similarly large drum - also with two drummers - descending from the ceiling, the drummers feet on the drum and a sling around each of them. An absolutely incredible performance!

Great shot, and even better with the crop. When I saw the original, though, I immediately thought that it should have been taken from further back and a little higher, thus keeping both drummers (and their feet) and telling the story. Artistically, though, the crop is better.

I live how you captured her in the last shot, though. Powerful!! clap.gif

Way to go! thumb.gif

Thanks Lee. This group is called Matsuriza. I have no idea if they performed with Cirque, but they have been performing at Epcot for at least 15 years. Unfortunately I haven't found a really great vantage point to shoot from, but I will definitely keep trying.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 13, 2009
    I agree with the single drummer image, contrasted with the size of the drum. I like a modest shutter speed to demonstrate the power and movement of the drummer's arms as well.

Rutt pointed out this thread to me, as I shot similar shots in December 2005 in Epcot in Florida. I am glad to hear Matsuriza still performs there. Their performance was breathtaking.

I thought I posted both monochrome and color as I thought the color was a significant part of the image as well, but I cannot find the thread any longer. I was impressed with the power in the lady's arms in my image
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree with the single drummer image, contrasted with the size of the drum. I like a modest shutter speed to demonstrate the power and movement of the drummer's arms as well.

Rutt pointed out this thread to me, as I shot similar shots in December 2005 in Epcot in Florida. I am glad to hear Matsuriza still performs there. Their performance was breathtaking.

I thought I posted both monochrome and color as I thought the color was a significant part of the image as well, but I cannot find the thread any longer. I was impressed with the power in the lady's arms in my image

Neat! They really are great. It is interesting that we took very similar shots. I have seen the woman from your shot perform many times, but I haven't seen her recently.

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing your pic!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 13, 2009
    I went back through my archives on December 2005, and found I shot about 25 frames of their performance, including several of both drummers at each end of the large drum like your shot also.

That porch rail is a real pain to deal with in shooting isn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin