Options

Sarah and Robert - Yosemite Elopement

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited November 20, 2009 in Weddings
A few from yesterdays elopement. Amazing couple and amazing fun. They were really into fashion forward styling, which I had a blast with. I love elopements because there is very little restriction on time.

sarah_robert-9.jpg

sarah_robert-10.jpg

sarah_robert-8.jpg

sarah_robert-2.jpg

sarah_robert-7.jpg

sarah_robert-16.jpg

sarah_robert-17.jpg

sarah_robert-21.jpg

As always, more on the blog.

Comments

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    I am just floored by these, truly, I saw them and was like "holy crap, they should be in magazines" AMAZING work.

#1 is to die for, though they've all got me thoroughly impressed.
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    ^ agreed!

I would love to know the setup on #7
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Is that a flash behind the wood sculpture on #7? I see some rim lighting and a little more than the candles could provide glow-wise on the vases..

Anybody else feel like they've just been schooled? WOW! Compositionaly these are perfect, great posing, wonderful processing and super creative use of the environment. That all being said, to my eye your flash was a little hot on a few of these. Despite that nit 4, as it is, is by far my favorite here. I love the pov, I love the concept, execution... Just amazing. Is your flash in the tree with her pointing up?

Crazy, crazy good stuff! Thanks for posting these!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Beauuuutiful!!!!!!

Amazing looking couple is right .... like straight out of a magazine!! clap.gif
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    bowdown.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    "holy crap",

Funny you said "Holy crap" since that was the first words out of my mouth when I saw that first one.

Incredible.

WOW!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Having stood on that very ledge myself, I am wondering if the bride was a little unnerved by the height behind it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    that first one is DYNAMITE!! I love it!! Gorgeous couple!!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone! It was a super fun day because they basically just let me do what ever I wanted where ever I wanted, so long as we had a ten minute ceremony. They were both into a fashion look, so that was really my only direction.

Just about everything in these eight shots was lit using strobes or flashes except for #8. Matt, I can see why you say the flashes are too hot. For me, I like them that way. I find it helps pull the couple out from their surroundings better. To me, nature can take away from the couple, so I like to put it in its place :) But thats just my preference...

Also Matt, in #4 I (at this point) the flash is off camera right lighting her up through another opening. I tried later to put it inside the tree with her, but didn't like it as much. That was also the second photo I took that day, so it was a good barometer of my clients mood: "Okay, now I want you to stuff yourself and your uber-expensive dress into this tree... " All I can say is that they were awesome!

Ted, it was impressive that she got up on that ledge in 4" heels. When we first pulled up there I think she joked that I was going to make her get on that ledge. I laughed with her for a few seconds (as if to say no way), promptly stopped laughing, then asked her to get on the ledge. Thankfully she was game. It really makes the photo that much better.

Since so many asked about #7... It was a two light shot (although I really wanted three, but didn't take the time to setup the third). One light about 10 feet behind the couch/table right on the ground aimed at the wood sculpture, right in the middle of a super busy hotel :) The other light was up high, camera left gridded and gelled for warmth.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009

Just about everything in these eight shots was lit using strobes or flashes except for #8. Matt, I can see why you say the flashes are too hot. For me, I like them that way. I find it helps pull the couple out from their surroundings better. To me, nature can take away from the couple, so I like to put it in its place :) But thats just my preference...

Hmmm... that is an interesting way to look at it. I definitely see your point. With backgrounds that are THAT stunning, I guess it would take away somewhat from the subject. I'm going to have to ponder that a bit!

Like I said, these are amazing images and none of my comments were meant to take away from that, so I appreciate the explanation of your point of view.

Thanks!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Are you sure this was really a wedding and not a stealth Vogue shoot?! :jawdrop

Beautiful.... and what fun to find a couple who wanted what amounted to a fashion shoot as their wedding shots!!! Stunning work.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Here's a few more just for fun...

sarah_robert-4.jpg

sarah_robert-23.jpg

sarah_robert-19.jpg

sarah_robert-20.jpg

sarah_robert-6.jpg

sarah_robert-11.jpg
  • Options
    CrossbarphotoCrossbarphoto Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Stunning!
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Whoa! Schooled again!!! 11 is awesome. I love the heavy shadows across her face. What is the souce of the light trails behind them on 10? Whatever it is it must have been moving pretty fast to catch motion there and sharpness on the couple without flashing them. Really neat stuff.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    ALL of these are just so incredibly well done. I could see from your first shot that you put a lot of serious work into your photography. Love the fashion feel of these!
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    moar moar moar!!! clap.gif

I love the website too.. did you have someone do it for you?

What I [and probably others] would give to be a 2nd shooter with you sometime.. oh man. Thank you for the new inspiration
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I have stood on that ledge in #1 as well and take my hat off to her for getting up there in Heels. The only thing more impressive (or maybe insane) would have been the ledge up at Glacier Point - lol. An inspiring series of amazing work, very well done!!! Thanks for posting them!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    SurreallifeSurreallife Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2009
    I'm new here, but not crazy. Those are STUNNING!thumb.gif
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Absolutely stunning series
    A few from yesterdays elopement. Amazing couple and amazing fun. They were really into fashion forward styling, which I had a blast with. I love elopements because there is very little restriction on time.

sarah_robert-9.jpg

sarah_robert-10.jpg

sarah_robert-8.jpg

sarah_robert-2.jpg

sarah_robert-7.jpg

sarah_robert-16.jpg

sarah_robert-17.jpg

sarah_robert-21.jpg

As always, more on the blog.
    Mwings.gif ad props!
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks again guys! I keep trying to push myself to come up with new and interesting concepts to work with. Some work, some fail.
    mmmatt wrote:
    What is the souce of the light trails behind them on 10? Whatever it is it must have been moving pretty fast to catch motion there and sharpness on the couple without flashing them.

Not be a jerk and keep secrets (don't worry, I will tell you), but what do you think it is? I was trying to emulate a fellow photographers shot and ended up with my own totally different version (shot with totally different light sources). Any guesses?
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks again guys! I keep trying to push myself to come up with new and interesting concepts to work with. Some work, some fail.

Not be a jerk and keep secrets (don't worry, I will tell you), but what do you think it is? I was trying to emulate a fellow photographers shot and ended up with my own totally different version (shot with totally different light sources). Any guesses?

Not being a jerk... I like this game, obviously! Hmmmm... if it was Hawaii I would go with luau and fire dancers with very small torches but since it's Yosemite I'm going to say I'm stumped! Actually, it may or may not be moving as it appears. It could be light painting with a hand held light. I bet I could get something similar with a video light and some t&e, but looking more carefully I see what almost looks like a brass railing below his shoulder and the 2 parallel lines that go up to her neck are almost too parallel, so I'm going to say a railing system, probably brass with a flash to your left or directly between the couple and the railingish thing... I'm throwing darts here though!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    I'm throwing darts here though!

Matt

I'm gonna guess: El-cheapo flashlights? Glow sticks? A chair lift? Was the couple spinning or was the light moving?

(Great photo and fun puzzle!)

You should link to your inspiration photo so we can see where the great tenoverthenose gets his inspiration!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    I'll let the guessing game continue a bit longer... here's the link to the original photographer's blog post containing the referenced shot:

http://lbvphoto.blogspot.com/2009/10/married-graham-jaime-holland-park-west.html
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    the links in the light source look like rope lights... i used to have them in my dorm room :D
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Amazing set! I am blown away.

And +1 for the first photo reaction of "holy crap!". thumb.gif
  • Options
    TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    WOW the pics are awesome. You are truly blessed to shooting in such a location. I'm jealous

one problem I saw was #6 i'm sure you have seen it but the shadow on her face looks weird at first sight almost like a mask. Other than that sweeet
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2009
    Heather was the closest. It was taken with a glorified video light and a tripod. Thankfully, the couple was able to hold really still for 15 seconds, but the beam of the light is fairly tight so that helps!

I'm currently on a mission to collect all sorts of crazy lights to try out at weddings, so look forward to more of this (great example currently on my blog).