Options

Commercial Shoot & Rights Purchase Question

MB ShutterMB Shutter Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Two different questions....

First of all, the YMCA in our area has contacted me to shoot the exterior of their new facility. These are images that they will be using in promotional pieces, as well as in print inside of the facility. Of course, it's a great opportunity, and I meet with the director tomorrow, however usually working in portraiture work only, I'm at a totall loss at to what or how to determine cost. :dunno

And second question, I recently shot a family's holiday portraits and they are more than thrilled with the images. One of their son's is autistic and they have never been able to get him to participate in a session until now. They are very active in the autistic learning center in our area and the director there would like to know if they would be able to use two of my images on their future advertising and brochure's. They would of course show credit in the pieces to my company. The problem is that I know they are low on funds, I don't want to give the images away, and again, I am at a loss of knowing what to charge.

Thanks for any help! I greatly appreciate it :thumb

Comments

• Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Where the learning center's concerned, tell them your normal rate, offer that you know they're short on funds and that you'd be open to discussing some other arrangements if they want.

Maybe they'll surprise you and pay your asking fee anyway, and if not then they know you're open to figuring out something win-win out between the two of you. Credits won't cut it, but if they send you a referral later on, then you can give them some consideration back.

Don't try to stand in their shoes in this case, it'll only give you a headache. deal.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    MB ShutterMB Shutter Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Thanks! That's the way my mind was working too. It's great to have my name on a brochure...but I don't see clients coming my way because of it at all. Any suggestions for the commercial shoot?
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    MB Shutter wrote:
    Any suggestions for the commercial shoot?
    Other than take your portrait policy use it for figuring out the charge for the landscape shoot - the next best bet would be to find a pro landscape shooter in a different area and ask them their charge-out policy is.

I've also heard of books on pricing photos, and web sites that calculate usage rights charge-outs on the fly - you could go to one of them, pick an image, put in what you expect your customer to do, and see what $'s come back.

Good luck!
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc