Metallic and Black and Whites

SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So I'm printing some TFP prints for a local model. I'm printing most as 8x10 lustre, but I'm considering printing a B&W on Bay Photo metallic because I think it will pop a little more due to more contrast. Am I correct with this assumption?

Here's the B&W in question:
526746075_cem5Y-M.jpg

Any feedback appreciated, especially if you have experience with this. :clap
Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!

Comments

• SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    No feedback? headscratch.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Are you asking about printing a bw metallic photo? I've never done that, but I've done metallic colored prints and bw prints through bayphoto.
    edited November 12, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Are you asking about printing a bw metallic photo? I've never done that, but I've done metallic colored prints and bw prints through bayphoto.
    With your experience with the metallics and bw prints via Bay Photo, do you think I should print the above image just lustre or metallic?
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    With your experience with the metallics and bw prints via Bay Photo, do you think I should print the above image just lustre or metallic?

I'd do it in bw. Your sky is pretty bright and that will really show up. I don't think you'd be happy with that look. Metallic gives off a shine or sparkle to things that are bright.

Suggestion: Find two photos you like .. one color and one bw. Print out a metallic of each in a smaller size so you have them as a reference in the future. That's what I did. Snow works good, metal, sun on leaves, etc. for metallic. I've never printed a bw in metallic. Thats interesting tho. I just might try that on a photo I took of a pair of glasses.
    edited November 12, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I'd do it in bw. Your sky is pretty bright and that will really show up. I don't think you'd be happy with that look. Metallic gives off a shine or sparkle to things that are bright.

Suggestion: Find two photos you like .. one color and one bw. Print out a metallic of each in a smaller size so you have them as a reference in the future. That's what I did. Snow works good, metal, sun on leaves, etc. for metallic. I've never printed a bw in metallic. Thats interesting tho. I just might try that on a photo I took of a pair of glasses.
    Thank you very much for the feedback! clap.gif I didn't really notice the sky, and you're right, that would stand out a lot. Lustre it is this time. thumb.gif
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I tried a Bay BW metallic of my "banner" horse, 16x20. It rocks, major pop. But it has the full tonal range of grays in the original image. I agree with the other poster, you're better off in lustre for this one, but do give it a try down the road.
    edited November 13, 2009
    lynnesite wrote:
    I tried a Bay BW metallic of my "banner" horse, 16x20. It rocks, major pop. But it has the full tonal range of grays in the original image. I agree with the other poster, you're better off in lustre for this one, but do give it a try down the road.
    Thank you so much for the feedback! clap.gif Order shipped out yesterday. I'm hoping to see it tomorrow. wings.gif
  • TamerlinTamerlin Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Thank you so much for the feedback! clap.gif Order shipped out yesterday. I'm hoping to see it tomorrow. wings.gif

I got this one printed in metallic through Bay, and it looks gorgeous at 8x10 as well as 16x20.

681452649_DAL5P-M.jpg
    edited November 16, 2009
    Thank you for the feedback. I didn't print the image in metallic, but lustre. I think it would have looked better in metallic as it looks soft in lustre.

Metallic is an interesting product. It does add depth to an image, but the colors can vary slightly as the light hits the print. Not a bad effect, especially for images of anything metal (chrome turns out looking REAL), but something to consider when printing people. I personally didn't care for the change in flesh tones that comes with changing light. ne_nau.gif
  • Chris OChris O Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Metallic won't add contrast. The original image isn't very contrasty as is, the paper won't change that.

However, it will change any bright whites to more of a silvery color. I love printing B&W in metallic. Clients love it as well, most order many more after ordering one just to see how it looks.
  • brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    So I'm printing some TFP prints for a local model. I'm printing most as 8x10 lustre, but I'm considering printing a B&W on Bay Photo metallic because I think it will pop a little more due to more contrast. Am I correct with this assumption?

Here's the B&W in question:
    526746075_cem5Y-M.jpg

Any feedback appreciated, especially if you have experience with this. clap.gif

Don't expect the choice of paper and ink to add pop to your photo when there isn't any to begin with. You will be dissapointed.

That photo needs more contrast, and as others have pointed out, I'm not sure what you can do about the sky. That was, no doubt, a tricky scene to photograph.
    edited November 17, 2009
    brjphoto wrote:
    Don't expect the choice of paper and ink to add pop to your photo when there isn't any to begin with. You will be dissapointed.

That photo needs more contrast, and as others have pointed out, I'm not sure what you can do about the sky. That was, no doubt, a tricky scene to photograph.
    Not enough time for the setup, not enough time to set things manually, incorrect f-stop for the dof I needed, should have been on a tripod, etc, etc. I know what's wrong with the image. I just wanted some opinions on the printing.

From my experience, this would have been pretty nice with metallic because it would have added contrast to the areas of the print that were lacking it. At the same time, it would make the sky stand out at certain angles. A tradeoff for sure, but I think this image could have benefited.