Options

Warning, subjective photographs

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 15, 2005 in Holy Macro
7/14/2005 watching fireworks shot off from the new Cooper River Bridge, millions of people gathered all over Charleston for this event this evening. These photographs are of just a few of the people who gathered on Sullivan's Island South Carolina to party and watch the fireworks over the water. These people were privileged to be standing in the water, I was right there with them.

Warning, these are handheld shots, Canon 20D, 70-200mm L Canon lens. Manual focus and settings. Iso 800 and 1600.............warning. (I am not really sure that they are all manual settings, I was trying to make it work, experimented a lot.) Warning!

28446266-L.jpg

28445066-L.jpg

28445059-L.jpg

28445052-L.jpg

28445090-L.jpg

28445095-L.jpg

Comments on your experience here are welcome.

(This was all my husband's fault........I think it
turned out rather well, if I do say so myself.)

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    28445066-L.jpg

I do like this one Ginger. the last ones don't work for me, but this one really tells me a story. You have people enjoying fireworks, and nicely shot while they are standing in the water. Interesting view.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I like the first one best by far. In fact, I really like the first one. Did I say, I liked the 1st one?? :): The others work somewhat for me but are a little too abstract.

I might have cropped the red squiggles on the right.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Thanks for stopping and commenting Photocat and light.

Did I mention that it was dark out there? I could not see anything. Had to set things by feel. Then try it.

Interesting that you both like different ones. I would pick the two you two picked. Last night the first one was my "stand alone" favorite, but the others grabbed me, too. I had others, but I made myself not show them. Huge crowd of people. Was glad this group stayed where they were. Am glad that one was a girl in cut off jean shorts with a white tee. I wouldn't have had zip without her.

Anyway, thanks, so much,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SallySally Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Fireworks
    I like the first but wish it had the shore waves of the last included...

I was bracing myself, usually I think fireworks pics are really boring, so these were a nice surprise.

Sally
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I like the first two
    Shots like these are always "iffy" but they are so much fun to try out!

My camera let's me "see" in the dark, I was so glad when I say that. By that, I mean if I turn my selector dial for aperture, etc. I get a menu in the viewfinder/LCD that has a duplicate of the dial, so I can select shutter, aperture, movie, manual, etc. It's a great help. I remember when I didn't have that and we brought a flashlight with us to the fireworks. Know what else helps, a cell phone! Just enough illumination to see in the dark...

Anyway I think you had a lot of fun with these...
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Surprise, Ginger! I like them. I especially like #1 and #4. It's a cool effect. I like abstracts. I do. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    ............and I thought my eye sight was bad. rolleyes1.gif **wink wink wink** (inside joke)

Very interesting shots Ginger. I kind of like them. Reminds me of years ago in college when I use to set up the camera in a dark room.....put a few friends on the couch...and then "light draw" with a penlight flashlight...around them. Produced some interesting shots very similar to your images.

Nice job.

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com