Overprocessed?? Your opinions

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited November 13, 2009 in People
Hi all,

I recently did some headshots for one of my favorite models. She needed a headshot for a pageant she is involved in.

Image #1 is the original frame from the shoot. It's retouched a bit but mostly just resized and sharpened. Image # 2 is the same shot "professionally" processed through Portrait Professional. I backed way off the original PP settings but I've been torched on here before for overprocessing my stuff so my question here is:

In your opinion (humble or otherwise) is image # 2 overprocessed?

Original Image
p132548660-4.jpg

Portrait Professional Image
p530119916-4.jpg __________________
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Tastes differ, but since you were apparently going for a "barbie" look anyway, I say PP version is OK.
    BTW, are her eyes really *that* blue? Amazing! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I think you hit it Nikolai.

The "barbie" look is kind of standard for a certain use I guess. I actually prefer the "real" model but I'm not the ultimate client (nor is she in reality). It's been my first lesson in the subjective aspect of what the client wants.

Yes, here eyes are really that blue. No colorizing, no contact lenses, just brightened up a bit in PP. She is actually that beautiful on the set.

Thanks.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Is #2 using the default settings on PP?I would probably move the sliders to the left a bit. Depending on which version you're using, you can preserve the skin texture really well while evening out her skin tone. If anything, you can also erase and rebrush the skin smoother on a lower opacity since your model has good skin to begin with.
  • Danny BatesDanny Bates Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2009
    I think you got close with your skin retouching, but it's so hard to smooth it and keep it looking real and not loose dimension and texture.

If that's the starting point for her eyes, I doubt she (or anyone else) would want you to enhance them in any way at all. If she was my daughter, I would point her toward makeup that compliments her instead of covering her up like that.

I'm a bit surprised by your apparent choice to close her mouth in your post processing. At first, I thought you may have touched up a different-yet-similar shot, but it does appear you closed her mouth digitally.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks Marikris & Danny.

Marikris - I actually backed off the default in PP.

Danny, those are her real eyes. I have enough trouble clicking the shutter without advising on makeupmwink.gif . Not being a Congressman, I know very little about things I know nothing about. headscratch.gif I also closed her mouth a bit due to looking at other pageant images online.

The ironic part is that when I started out, I useed to get flogged on here for "plasticizing" skin. Now, when the "client" wants it, I seem to have lost my frame of reference for judging how much.ne_nau.gif

The advantage is that she starts out so beautiful. As a sidelight, she's also a genuine doll to work with.
  • CrossbarphotoCrossbarphoto Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I really like the PP, but wonder what the effect would look like if you dropped the Opacity of the adjustment layer by a few %. If I saw this in a magazine, I wouldn't think twice about it being 'overdone'. Looks great.