First post here (C&C requested)

IdahoMotomomIdahoMotomom Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited November 13, 2009 in People
This was from a shoot last weekend of our girls. I am a complete noob with photography of any kind, but have been dabbling in soccer & motocross for the last several months.

I'm not sure what is going on with my monitor, but at home this photo looked different vs. here at my office.

Comments please?
2hhnm9c.jpg

Comments

• GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Adorable girls!! The shot is a little soft and using a flash or reflector might have helped to brighten their faces a bit, but overall, nice. :)
    This was from a shoot last weekend of our girls. I am a complete noob with photography of any kind, but have been dabbling in soccer & motocross for the last several months.

I'm not sure what is going on with my monitor, but at home this photo looked different vs. here at my office.

Comments please?
    2hhnm9c.jpg
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin & the world of photography!

Nice photo clap.gif
    Your girls are adorable.
    All monitors can be setup different and that is why the pictures look different at home compared to work.
    What camera did you use?

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009

Comments please?
    2hhnm9c.jpg

WELCOME, this IS THE PLACE to be! The location of the shot in the tree is really terrific, the girls are so very cute as you know and the wardrobe and colors all work well together. Other than a bit soft and a tiny bit dark on the young one's face, pretty good shot for a noob!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Danny BatesDanny Bates Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2009
    Looks pretty good to my eyes. I like the light pattern on the face of the girl on the left. Since the face of the other girl is oriented away from the light, the lighting on her face suffers just a bit but not enough to harm the photo (in my opinion).

Generally speaking, when working with directional light (good job on that, by the way) and people of various sizes... it helps to put the smaller subject closer to the light because they can't overshadow a larger subject. In this case, a tree separates the two but I still think the tip may prove helpful to you in the future.

Have an amazing weekend!
  • IdahoMotomomIdahoMotomom Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Oh, how sweet are y'all with your comments and guidance!! I just (within the last 4 weeks) picked up a used 1dMkIIN and a used Sigma 70-200, 2.8. I feel like I've just got my driver's license and someone put me behind a manual shift sports car.

This shot, is straight from the camera. Shot 30 minutes after the first photo. I obviously didn't do any PP, not a wall hanger. I know my window is very small when dealing with children...especially my own! We call this one "Pissy Pants". Oh, and I do love her dearly, both of them.

2eeh7bt.jpg

I know I need to invest in some more goodies, flash first, 24-70..... My Christmas list is longer than my kids. That's pathetic!

I love being on this forum and have already learned so much. THANK YOU!