More curves from Photocat

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited July 18, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have a fence in my back yard, and the top of the poles is filled with curves.
I also found a snale in my flowers, wondering if curves on curves would work, but I tend to go for the wood alone without the snale. I have no idea wether the snale adds or detracts... Comments would be appreciated.

28450494-L.jpg

28450612-L.jpg

Comments

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I think the snail is a good idea, but it's OOF in the shot. I say keep playing, you are onto something!thumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I think the radial checks in the stump overpower the rings.

Bear
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Ventured some more
    I am handicapped though because the snale is so small. When I put on my 70-300 I have to go backwards too far, so then I can not fill the frame anymore.
    When I put on the 28-50, I don't really have a macro function. It says macro lens bit it is not a macro lens. (wished I had not sold my minolta dimage 7I)
    I finally went to my lens in a cap, a simple twisty little thing (19 dollar) with a fixed aperture (took it on 16, wich is as far as it goes) and the lubo, a magnifying thingie that fits on the lens in a cap.
    So with the lens stuff that was together 25 dollar I get this result...
    (If anyone could advize me on a REAL macro lens, with shifting elements, 1/1 for tiny things, I would appreciate it)

28454665-L.jpg
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I love that 25.00 shot. Is it Canon stuff? What would I look for to buy it. Meanwhile, I think you have a great shot. I like the selective dof.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited July 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love that 25.00 shot. Is it Canon stuff? What would I look for to buy it. Meanwhile, I think you have a great shot. I like the selective dof.

ginger

Thanks Ginger, you can find more information on

http://www.loreo.com/

It was 35 dollar with shipping as it had to come from Hongkong. They have Nikon fits and Canon. I don't think I would order it again, the quality is less then predicted on the site. But then that can be my fault.
    The lubeo is for very extreme close up. Your object really must be very very small as it has to fit underneath it two paws. (My garden snale is as big as a nail from a grown up)
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I also prefer the snail. The shell has great curves. I was using my 200mm this morning for small things it worked pretty well. I would try to get back a bit and zoom in to 200 or a little less. With good light it should work. Keep working on that snail. But, as Ginger says, the sharp focus fading to blur is nice too. thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited July 15, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    I also prefer the snail. The shell has great curves. I was using my 200mm this morning for small things it worked pretty well. I would try to get back a bit and zoom in to 200 or a little less. With good light it should work. Keep working on that snail. But, as Ginger says, the sharp focus fading to blur is nice too. thumb.gif

For some strange reason I can not fill the frame when I am in macro.... with my zoom (70-300). The minimum distance is 50 cm, and when at that minimum distance, the shell is hardly viewable.
    I'll have a play again tomorrow... Maybe I have a photographic meltdown of some kind

Thanks for commenting (the snale is around 1 cm big)

Here is a picture to show the real greatness or smallness... I tried again to go closer, but it is one or the other. Either I am in normal mode, or macro but then have to standback...
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    I am handicapped though because the snale is so small. When I put on my 70-300 I have to go backwards too far, so then I can not fill the frame anymore.
    When I put on the 28-50, I don't really have a macro function. It says macro lens bit it is not a macro lens. (wished I had not sold my minolta dimage 7I)
    I finally went to my lens in a cap, a simple twisty little thing (19 dollar) with a fixed aperture (took it on 16, wich is as far as it goes) and the lubo, a magnifying thingie that fits on the lens in a cap.
    So with the lens stuff that was together 25 dollar I get this result...
    (If anyone could advize me on a REAL macro lens, with shifting elements, 1/1 for tiny things, I would appreciate it)

28454665-L.jpg
    I like this shot! I can see the limitations in your macro setup but it's a good idea.

Erich
    edited July 16, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    I like this shot! I can see the limitations in your macro setup but it's a good idea.

Erich

Thanks Erich, your comments are appreciated.
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    I like the curves in the closeup of the snail best.

Best regards,
    douglas
    Best regards,
    douglas