Winter Approaches

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 14, 2009 in Landscapes
(I am the consumate whinger about winter weather). We have had a very long, very mild fall; temperatures are still above freezing in the morning. I took a very early morning walk Wednesday to see if I could find some sweet light. I found reflections and ice on the river.

711629468_BjWgh-L.jpg

711622840_DgsmG-XL.jpg

Gallery

Comments

• JimBarryPhotographyJimBarryPhotography Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Sweet light and...
    Lots of great texture!!! Nice!!
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Brrrr, nice shot. At first glance i thought those were lilly pads with ice on top, but that's just ice! Here comes winter....blah
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Love that first shot. Makes you look twice.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    Nice stuff. So how soon before pond hockey?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    (I am the consumate whinger about winter weather).
    nod.gif

You'd think that someone who practically lives at the North Pole would be used to it by now lol3.gif
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hi Ann, love the first one - very effective composition.

Cheers, Richard.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Ann- Really like the first one. There is a great play on contrasts here. Jagged ice vs smooth water- cool colors vs warm colors- horizontal vs vertical and several shapes playing out. A pretty 'cool' image!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Ann- Really like the first one. There is a great play on contrasts here. Jagged ice vs smooth water- cool colors vs warm colors- horizontal vs vertical and several shapes playing out. A pretty 'cool' image!!

Agree thumb.gif
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif

You'd think that someone who practically lives at the North Pole would be used to it by now lol3.gif

As another "near-arctic" resident - nah, you NEVER get used to it:cry

Since we're moving in 3 weeks, I'm doing the 'no snow' dance for a while. Once we get into the new house, I don't care - bring it on! Just don't screw up construction and moving at this late date.bowdown.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Very nice! Water and ice!!!! I like that contrast! clap.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Lots of great texture!!! Nice!!
    Brrrr, nice shot. At first glance i thought those were lilly pads with ice on top, but that's just ice! Here comes winter....blah
    Love that first shot. Makes you look twice.

Thank You, Jim, Jwar and Ridgetop. You would be hard pressed to find lily pads in these parts! mwink.gif
    edited November 13, 2009
    Nice stuff. So how soon before pond hockey?

Well, that'll depend on the pond and the weather - it is still pretty warm.

Marmot Basin (ski hill in Jasper Park) opened Wednesday!

ann
    edited November 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif

Yeah - not. I dislike it more the older I get. rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 13, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Ann, love the first one - very effective composition.

Cheers, Richard.

Thank you, Richard.

Thanks so much Aaron. I tried playing with which part was in focus as well, and like this best.
    Agree thumb.gif

Thanks, Harry
    edited November 13, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:

Since we're moving in 3 weeks, I'm doing the 'no snow' dance for a while. Once we get into the new house, I don't care - bring it on! Just don't screw up construction and moving at this late date.bowdown.gif

Heck, Ceci, you are subtropical compared to me! mwink.gif Good luck with the move.

ann
    edited November 13, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Very nice! Water and ice!!!! I like that contrast! clap.gif

Thank you!

ann
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:

Every time someone talks about the adventures of moving it brings back a certain memory for me. We are absolutely tropical compared to you (about 60-80 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri in Illinois) but do get snow!

During my senior year in high school we were scheduled to move about a block and a half from where we were living. We got about as big a snow fall as we get around here. Since my dad sold cars he wasn’t worried about the expense if he got stuck. Soooo he tried to back the car out of the garage the width of an about 80' lot. He got stuck, they sent a pickup after him, they got the pickup stuck and had to send the wrecker after both!! The school buses weren’t running but the school was open for those close enough to get there on there own. Needless to say those of us that he would have taken in did not get there. It was nice otherwise so just to be out a friend and I went over and cleared walks at the house we were scheduled to move to the next day. The next day streets were better cleared and we got to class fine. During the morning I got a note in class to come to the house we were scheduled to move to!

The movers had told Mom that they felt they could get through and she let them come saying she would rather mop up snow tracks than mud tracks.

Jane B.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Halite wrote:
    Agree thumb.gif

(another Agree) #1 thumb.gif love it!
    Aaron Nelson
  • eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Number one
    Good Day
    I like the first capture the best of the two composition is great...thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Dean
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Ann I just love the contrast of yellow and blue! And I have a special place in my heart for shots that use reflections to flip what you're seeing and take things out of context.

I'm surprised you still have liquid water there in November, but it sounds like you had a pretty nice summer. :D
    edited November 14, 2009
    (another Agree) #1 thumb.gif love it!

Thanks Aaron.
    Good Day
    I like the first capture the best of the two composition is great...thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Dean

Thank you eyeguy.
    Ann I just love the contrast of yellow and blue! And I have a special place in my heart for shots that use reflections to flip what you're seeing and take things out of context.

I'm surprised you still have liquid water there in November, but it sounds like you had a pretty nice summer. :D

And thanks schmoo. It has been 'warm' - you folks from California would probably be shivering but we are embracing it, :D