Options

Lens hood for Macro or not?

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Holy Macro
I'm new to Macro and am not sure if I should be using the lens hood or not for extreme close-ups? I usually have to crank up the ISO to 400 or the pics are too dark (outdoors). I typically keep shutter speed at 1/125 and aperture around 6. I use a Canon 100mm 2.8L.
Thanks. :) Carrie

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    I don't know if there's really a "should" here. Some people like hoods, some don't. Even with a macro lens, the minimum focus distance will be much greater than the length of the hood, so it's not as if you're going to bump into the thing you're trying to photograph while focusing. I suppose the hood might startle off a bug where the lens without the hood (being farther away) might not, but I haven't had any trouble with that.

I normally use the hood with my macro lens. Do you find there is a disadvantage to using a hood?
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I have never used a hood for my macro lenses not found the need and would get in the way often of lighting the subject (I often use flash).
    I could perhaps see a need for a hood if you fairly frequently use the lens as a short telephoto rather than a macro lens.
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    So far I haven't any real disadvantage. I just wondered if that was why I ended up sometimes with darker pics tho. :/
    craig_d wrote:
    I don't know if there's really a "should" here. Some people like hoods, some don't. Even with a macro lens, the minimum focus distance will be much greater than the length of the hood, so it's not as if you're going to bump into the thing you're trying to photograph while focusing. I suppose the hood might startle off a bug where the lens without the hood (being farther away) might not, but I haven't had any trouble with that.

I normally use the hood with my macro lens. Do you find there is a disadvantage to using a hood?
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    So far I haven't any real disadvantage. I just wondered if that was why I ended up sometimes with darker pics tho. :/

I doubt it, unless the hood is casting a shadow on your subject.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Depends on the lens and the lighting situation. Not if it casts a shadow on the subject, and definitely not needed i you have a Tammy 90 or similar lens which is very recessed. In other situations, it's your choice.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I always use a hood for macro. Any light the hood blocks is not light you want falling on the lens: it's outside the image, and only contributes to lens flare. (I use a flash, but it's usually far enough off-axis to avoid the hood.)

But more to the point, I don't think the lens hood is the source of your dark images. It sounds like the problem is just that you need more light, either via flash or reflected sunlight. The exposure settings you mention sound like perfectly normal outdoor settings to me, especially if you're shooting natural light. Just watch what your meter is telling you; the camera generally knows how much light it needs.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks for that, mehampson. I appreciate the tips. :)
    mehampson wrote:
    I always use a hood for macro. Any light the hood blocks is not light you want falling on the lens: it's outside the image, and only contributes to lens flare. (I use a flash, but it's usually far enough off-axis to avoid the hood.)

But more to the point, I don't think the lens hood is the source of your dark images. It sounds like the problem is just that you need more light, either via flash or reflected sunlight. The exposure settings you mention sound like perfectly normal outdoor settings to me, especially if you're shooting natural light. Just watch what your meter is telling you; the camera generally knows how much light it needs.