Options

For Canon. Best general purpose lens?

Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
edited July 26, 2005 in Accessories
I read where the 24-70mm f/2.8L is considered the best all purpose lens. I spend 1-2 days a week going out and taking snapshots. If I don't want to lug a bag around I usually take the 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

What will I be shooting? Have no idea. That's half the fun. I never know, but the 100/Macro gives me quite a few options. So..... is the hefty price tag of the 24-70mm worth it? It seems that I'll be sacrficing flexibility and a little more reach for a notch or two or three of quality.

Quality is good. I need all the help I can get. But is it that much better to give up the macro and the reach?
:dunno
My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    I read where the 24-70mm f/2.8L is considered the best all purpose lens. I spend 1-2 days a week going out and taking snapshots. If I don't want to lug a bag around I usually take the 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

What will I be shooting? Have no idea. That's half the fun. I never know, but the 100/Macro gives me quite a few options. So..... is the hefty price tag of the 24-70mm worth it? It seems that I'll be sacrficing flexibility and a little more reach for a notch or two or three of quality.

Quality is good. I need all the help I can get. But is it that much better to give up the macro and the reach?
    ne_nau.gif

wave.gif and welcome to dgrin!

* there's no "best" for anything photographic - it's what suits *you* the photographer best that is what's best deal.gif

that said, you can't go wrong with the 24-70L, it's very useful for the purposes you are talking about. but consider the 28-135 as well, or the 17-85 ef-s, too, if you have a 20d or rebel. it's not the lens that's going to make it for you, it's you, and how you apply good photographic techniques... yes some lenses are "better" than others but most folks 'round here will tell you "it's not the lens, it's the photographer..."

cheers
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    Thank you for the welcome
    andy wrote:
    that said, you can't go wrong with the 24-70L, it's very useful for the purposes you are talking about. but consider the 28-135 as well, or the 17-85 ef-s, too, if you have a 20d or rebel. it's not the lens that's going to make it for you, it's you, and how you apply good photographic techniques... yes some lenses are "better" than others but most folks 'round here will tell you "it's not the lens, it's the photographer..."

cheers
    I'll take a look at your recommendations. I certainly can't argue with your comment: "it's not the lens, it's the photographer..." My first priority is to have fun followed by coming up with a decent photo from time to time. Guess I just feel the need to use any available tool that will allow me to reach that second priority.

Again. Thanks for the welcome and the recommendations. I've been learning soooo much around here and everyone is incredibly nice.
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Hi Blue,
    My 100mm Macro is my best lens and I tend to use it quite extensively. I tend to use it for my walk around lens also, but I do have my wife carry my bag for me when I need to change to something else and she doesn't mindclap.gif.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    edited July 15, 2005
    And they said chivalry is dead
    but I do have my wife carry my bag for me when I need to change to something else and she doesn't mind
    :D

Can't get my wife to carry anything. But she is an excellent proof editor... "that one is terrible.... bad.... horrible..... fairly decent"

Nice to know that someone else uses the same walk about lens. Thanks!
    clap.gif

Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 15, 2005
    :D

Can't get my wife to carry anything. But she is an excellent proof editor... "that one is terrible.... bad.... horrible..... fairly decent"

Nice to know that someone else uses the same walk about lens. Thanks!
    clap.gif

Dan
    For 35mm film cameras, a Tamron 90mm macro was a favorite of mine, For the reasons you alluded to, - very sharp, useful for head and shoulder portraits and macros as well. SO, if you are planning a full frame DSLR I would agree with the Canon 100mm macro as a great walk around. But with the 1.6 mag factor of the 20D or the Digital Rebel, I think a 100mm lens may be just a little too long( and I LOVE long lenses), - maybe the Canon 60mm EFS macro might work better.
    The Canon 24-70 f2.8 L normal range Zoom is a great lens - the zoom range is just so very useful for people, places and things that it is a great walk around lens - large, heavy, expensive, but great. Maybe a little large on the 20D or the 350XT.
    The Tamron f2.8 28-75 DI is a more inexpensive, but very sharp, alternative. Add the Tamron 90mm macro and the cost for both Tamrons will about equal the cost of the Canon 24-70 f2.8. It all depends on your budget.
    I have a Tamron f2.8 28-75 Di on my 20D as we speak; and a 24-70 f2.8 L on my 1DMkll. They're both good. But the bulk of the Canon 24-70 seems more ergonomic on the 1 series and the Tamron's smaller size seems more appropriate to the 20D. YMMV:): The Canon 24-70 requires 77mm filter diameters, the Tamron 67mm filters. Again a significant difference in size.
    I have made numerous 13x19 prints with a 20D and the little Tamron lens 28-75 Di - it is very sharp.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2005
    I'll take a look at Tamron
    pathfinder wrote:
    The Tamron f2.8 28-75 DI is a more inexpensive, but very sharp, alternative. Add the Tamron 90mm macro and the cost for both Tamrons will about equal the cost of the Canon 24-70 f2.8. It all depends on your budget.
    I have a Tamron f2.8 28-75 Di on my 20D as we speak; and a 24-70 f2.8 L on my 1DMkll. They're both good. But the bulk of the Canon 24-70 seems more ergonomic on the 1 series and the Tamron's smaller size seems more appropriate to the 20D. YMMV:): The Canon 24-70 requires 77mm filter diameters, the Tamron 67mm filters. Again a significant difference in size.
    I have made numerous 13x19 prints with a 20D and the little Tamron lens 28-75 Di - it is very sharp.
    Must confess that I'm a bit in the dark on Tamron but I'll check it out. Already have one bulky lens for the 20D so I don't think ergonomics will be an issue. The 100mm can be a bit long at times but I've just adjusted to it.

I'm leaning toward the 24-70 f2.8L but I'll compare the Tamron first. But... even today I found myself using the macro during my photo expedition. Hate to give that up when I go solo-lens.
    headscratch.gif

Thanks for your suggestions. They are really appreciated.
    Dan
    My Smugmug Snaps

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    tamron 28-200 do zoom
    the new tamron 28-200 macro zoom looks to be a pretty good compromise walk around lens-with a 1.6 crop factor its 320mm,the 28mm wide end of course goes up to 44, which is still quite useable. the plan is to get an L wide,a 300mm telephoto prime and a general purpose zoom for backpack free days,and then stop buying glass,i hope.

the tamron is on my list to buy after I pick my ef-s 60mm macro-which equates to almost 100mm.its light and short too...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    gtc
    gtc wrote:
    the new tamron 28-200 macro zoom looks to be a pretty good compromise walk around lens-with a 1.6 crop factor its 320mm,the 28mm wide end of course goes up to 44, which is still quite useable. the plan is to get an L wide,a 300mm telephoto prime and a general purpose zoom for backpack free days,and then stop buying glass,i hope.

the tamron is on my list to buy after I pick my ef-s 60mm macro-which equates to almost 100mm.its light and short too...
    Good luck on this part of the planlol3.gif
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 is also a good option.

It is the same 24mm wide (so 38.4mm) while the tamron will only net ya 44.8mm with its 28mm wide setting.

Those 6.4 mm do in fact make a difference. Cause you can ususally zoom with your feet, but inside and such you ran out of room to get wider and having a slightly wider lens helps. thumb.gif

Plus this thing is tack sharp by f4. :D

It focuses very closely as well.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8