Ugh...November in the Pacific NW--inspire me!

RosyRosy Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited December 6, 2009 in People
So, the famous Seattle rain has set in, and I've got a family sitting booked this weekend! And no studio. :(

We may reschedule...but I would love to see some examples of great on-the-fly, not in a studio indoor shots. I do have a pretty good-sized wall, kind of a weird yellow. And no backdrops. I did a friend's family in there last week and it was barely light enough to get decent pics...I think they ended up going with the ones we did outside, anyway.

So, would you all be so kind as to link your favorite non-studio indoor pics? Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    This one was taken in the garage. The garage door is fully open and at camera right. I used a gold reflector to lighten his eyes.

702826225_FEtfb-L.jpg
  • RosyRosy Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2009
    Jake, what is your backdrop? Your lighting is fantastic! My garage is currently full of just-moved-in debris...otherwise it would probably work well.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    This is from my living room, large window, covered patio beyond, faces south.She is sitting om my sofa.
    664035309_83eLz-M.jpg
    This was taken in my daughter's living room in Colorado, large window here again and a lot of photoshop for background.
    535287166_qZghv-M.jpg
    same room, on couch
    517946309_VB3UY-M.jpg

Same house different room
    454250802_6ZqEt-M-3.jpg

same room, same couch
    535120017_ZPxP5-M.jpg

In a family's home in Colorado, on camera flash
    566893612_P2oWY-M.jpg

in my spare bedroom on the bed east facing 2 small windows on camera flash
    483225491_vPazt-M.jpg

Same room, and no it was not painted another color, it is a warm mid tone gold.

454250472_Z2FhT-M-3.jpg
    I only very recently got a background , and began using off camera flash. Shooting inside , in homes was where I began to learn photogpraphy.I use lamps to help with lighting.

I also used to throw a large piece of black velvet over a large cardboard room divider that I bought online for another use.Made a decent background.

The thing to look for is the light, anything near a large window can be great!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    So, it's raining where you are too...bummer...I feel your pain. I wish I could go out and play...
    713781468_dxsXY-L.jpg
    This is my grandson, Seth...watching the rain. Days of rain...

I used a little fill flash and post processed in CS3...

Bye the way Trudy, nice images and post processing...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Are you limited to your location...
    Rosy wrote:
    So, the famous Seattle rain has set in, and I've got a family sitting booked this weekend! And no studio. :(

We may reschedule...but I would love to see some examples of great on-the-fly, not in a studio indoor shots. I do have a pretty good-sized wall, kind of a weird yellow. And no backdrops. I did a friend's family in there last week and it was barely light enough to get decent pics...I think they ended up going with the ones we did outside, anyway.

So, would you all be so kind as to link your favorite non-studio indoor pics? Thanks in advance! :)

How big and fun is the family.....
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    So, it's raining where you are too...bummer...I feel your pain. I wish I could go out and play...

712417392_axCQS-L.jpg
    This is my grandson, Seth...watching the rain. Days of rain...

I used a little fill flash and post processed in CS3...

Bye the way Trudy, nice images and post processing...

aaWWWW HOW ADORABLE ! thanks !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    shoot outside anyway!
    Rosy wrote:

I say be a true webfoot and shoot outside anyway! Matching umbrellas and rain boots. I have in the past shot (during a downpour) from inside a parking structure with the rain soaked streets as a background. It looked pretty dramatic when done. I intentionally underexposed the background to make it even more moody.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Oh, by the way Go Ducks! <o:p></o:p>

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Keep Clam.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com
  • JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Rosy wrote:
    Jake, what is your backdrop? Your lighting is fantastic! My garage is currently full of just-moved-in debris...otherwise it would probably work well.

Thanks. :D Backdrop is just the wall of the garage.

P.S- sorry it took so long to reply back.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Absolutely pouring during this shoot - took a long series out on the porch (1 shoothru umbrella camera right for fill) shooting out towards the yard. We decided the leaves were so pretty we'd give it a try despite the weather, and most of the shots the family chose came from these!

717740311_BQ269-M.jpg
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Shot outdoors on a rainy, muddy, yucky day....

492821765_YnCEL-S.jpg

It really made the colors rich...
    492820149_C96xN-M.jpg

...and it literally poured the whole time we shot these....under a breezeway downtown...

500680569_QUTR9-M-1.jpg

500683482_QzSEg-S-1.jpg

....and after....

500678806_gduPX-S-1.jpg

500661831_KnSeA-M-1.jpg

Indoors by windowlight.....for the first three.....and added some off camera speedlight with the bottom three...( His mother's bedroom)
    341215033_Ki4dG-L.jpg