Need An Opinion

CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited November 15, 2009 in Holy Macro
Ok I currently do any macro work with a Canon 500D diopter attatched to various lenses (28-135, 70-300, 10-22). But I've been really tempted to get a dedicated macro lens. Specifically Canon's 100mm macro. So saying that, is there any point in keeping the 500D if I buy a dedicated lens? Still fairly new to photography so I don't have a complete understanding of the 500D's bennefits and limitations. If it's redundant to have it with a dedicated lens, I'll just sell it and make the macro lens far more affordable.

Input appreciated.
http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I've never used a macro attachment like yours, but it's pretty compact compared to a lens, isn't it? If so, then since you already have one, I think you should keep it in your camera bag for those occasions when you may not have your macro lens with you. It will give you a degree of macro capability at all times, even if not up to the quality level of a dedicated macro lens.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I've heard people say good things about the bokeh using the 500D on the 100mm macro. And you might find there are shots you can get using it on one of your wider lenses that the 100mm won't give you.

My suggestion would be to wait a little while after getting the 100mm to decide, and see what place the 500D has in your kit once you're comfortable with it. Then figure out how much you'd get for selling the 500D and ask yourself if you'd spend that much to get that extra macro capability on top of the 100mm.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    In terms of magnification the 500D will not add much to a 100mm macro lens - think it will increase the max mag to 1.2 :1. Many people do use them on longer lenses for dragonfly/butterfly shooting.
    Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 14, 2009
    i have tryed the 500 on my 100mm + full set ex tubes and it only increased magnification by a tiny little bit, think it worked out about half a millimeter width wise in frame at full mag.
    so not much good at increasing mag in conjunction with a macro lens really
    phil
  • CapularisCapularis Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I would say keep it for those days you need to travel light. It gives a nice boost to the close-up ability of your zoom lens without taking up too much space or adding extra weight.
    Capularis

Splendor awaits in minute proportions.
    E.O. Wilson
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Thanks for all the input guys. Yeah I think I'll hold off selling the 500D and just save a little longer for the 100mm. I'm not too good at being patient.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter