"Sleeping in the Garden"

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited November 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
After being out for a couple weeks with a bad back, I am finally able to get back to the computer and to the camera! I made a short visit to the SA Botanical Gardens earlier this week. Didn't get too many keepers--I was not able to lug along my camera bag so I went in with just my 70-300, thinking I could get some nice closeups. I love the bokeh on that lens and I have had some nice results. But alas, this wasn't the day for that lens and I wished for . . . well, that 105 macro that I should have bought 2 years ago when I first looked at it! :cry

I was able to capture this one, which I processed in ACR and PS with Topaz Adjust. Not sure I like the frame that I added but I was happy with the image. I had just spoken with this gardener minutes earlier and when I saw him headed for the bench I thought he was just taking a brief rest. Shortly thereafter, I looked over and he was sound asleep! (Note: I didn't wake him to ask for a release.)

C&C appreciated.

Thanks,
Lauren

711997722_r5CzE-XL.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Really like your processing Lauren thumb.gif
    Randy
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hi. I really like this picture - the composition and the processing. I'm a bit 'iffy' about the frame, too, though.thumb.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    HI Lauren.....I like it... I would like to have seen a little more of the guy... I THINK......Great PP....... azzaro
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hi Lauren,

Very nice PP. I like the fact you don't see all of the guy. It indicates to me that he may have been trying to hide a little bit while he dozed. In which case, he succeeded. Good work.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I like this Lauren. He looks so comfortable taking his snooze :D You did a good job thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Sweet shot. I think those knee-pads really make the shot in that they blend with the textures of the wood around him, and make it seem like he really belongs there.

Glad your back is back in order. Pain is no fun...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Really nice - but- I think I would liked to have seen a bit more of the guy just to make sure he was asleep. Still - neat capture! And yea, i like that processing.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I'm in the "see just enough of him" camp. To me, his bowed head and hands resting on his gloves is plenty to tell the story.

I really like this photo. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Wow! Thanks to all of you for the looks and comments. I did consider moving over to get more of the gardener but I actually liked the idea of "less is more" in this shot. I think I will remove the frame and post this in my gallery.

Andrew - Thanks for the kind words. I live with pain every day and it "ain't" no fun . . . so I love it when I can get out and do stuff. Glad you liked the knee pads--that's actually what drew me to the shot in the first place.

Thanks to all of you! :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com