Options

Insurance for Sports Shooters

BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in Sports
Hi All! I am wondering what comercial insurance polices people are using who mainly shoot sports (BTW thats why i put this thread here!) I am focusing mostly on Motorsports and need to get a policy that covers commercial use. If there are any Canadian shooters out there - dont be shy! Speak up! Any answers are appreciated though.

I have contacted my agent, but just wanted to ask the masses first to see what to keep an eye for, make sure I ask for etc.

Thanks!
...more to come!

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I don't know anything about Canada, but these are companies that I've heard good things (if you need liability as well) and they deal with pro photogs.
    Hill and Usher
    Marsh Affinity Group Services (PPA's insurance)
    Tom C Pickard.
    Prosurance (ASMP's insurance)
    Hartford

For general gear policy, (no liability), State Farm usually does the trick with a personal article policy.

As for "policy that covers commercial use"... I don't believe I ever heard it referred that way before. What do you want the insurance to cover for that purpose? Usually, insurance covers the gear or liability (e.g. if a strobe falls on someone, you injury someone, or you damage someone's property).
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks for that Russ- kinda strange - nothing came up when i did a search! Thats why i posted the thread!

aktse, Liability insurance is what i am looking for. State Farm here refers to it as Commercial Insurance instead of Personal Ins (currently using). Basically, I want to be covered personally - for profit, my gear and yes the coverage for a strobe falling on someone! I have had 'issues' with State Farm with automobile insurace in the past, and didnt want to relive that with my camera gear. I am calling around to different companies - but I am learning that there isnt, or seems to be little offerings for liabiltiy insurance for this purpose.

Lets see what Mr State Farm has to say...
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    All of my equipment is covered by an "inland marine" policy which covers theft, damage, loss, unplanned meetings with out of control defensive backs, and just about anything else that could do harm to my equipment. In my case it's issued by State Farm, but I believe that most insurance companies issue such policies.

I'm not sure why these policies are called "inland marine", but they provide the coverage that I was looking for.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    KMCC wrote:
    All of my equipment is covered by an "inland marine" policy which covers theft, damage, loss, unplanned meetings with out of control defensive backs, and just about anything else that could do harm to my equipment. In my case it's issued by State Farm, but I believe that most insurance companies issue such policies.

I'm not sure why these policies are called "inland marine", but they provide the coverage that I was looking for.

Same goes for me also.
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.