Options

Logos, need help choosing

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited November 24, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, so I'm having a logo made by LogoNerds.com - and they sent me the concepts they came up with.

What I'm asking is for which ones you like, and if you could change something about it, what would you change.

I know which one I like, just want to get some feedback as to which ones you guys like.

Customers should imagine:
A respectable photographer who is creative and original, and also cares about the environment.

712177019_TRQpp-L.jpg
Jer

Comments

• Options
    bakerphotographybakerphotography Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I was back and forth between Concept 3 and Concept 6. Based on your tag-line regarding environment those 2 stick out for that.
    Thanks for including that logonerds link too...I hate my logo and didn't realize such an affordable logo creation concept existed. I will be using them asap!!

www.bakerphotography.net

Canon Shooter:ivar

Canon 1dMkII
    Canon 85mm 1.2
    580EX-II
    Canon 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM
    Gary Fong LSII
    AB800 / AB400
    Calumet Genesis 250
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    yeah, I placed an order on sunday, and they got these concepts to me today... pretty quick turnaround for 6 quality designs... and its only like $27 if you just want one for the web, if you want to be able to print with it its $47. I found a $10 coupon for them so I got the printable one for $37. not bad if you ask me..
    Jer
  • Options
    LaurieHLaurieH Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I'm WAY partial to #6... it's cleaner, simpler, very eye-catching, gets the point across very clearly. And fewer colors makes things lots easier when you go to get your polo shirts embroidered! :D
    Let the beauty of what you love be what you do. - Jalal ad-Din Rumi

SmugMug Galleries - photos.39degreesnorth.net
    Blog - 39degreesnorth.net/blog
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    LaurieH wrote:
    I'm WAY partial to #6... it's cleaner, simpler, very eye-catching, gets the point across very clearly. And fewer colors makes things lots easier when you go to get your polo shirts embroidered! :D
    Haha, I don't know if I'll ever make polo's! But I do agree with everything you said. Most of my design buddies at my school agree that number 6 is their favorite for those reasons.
    Jer
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    I guess I'll go along with the crowd...number 6 really jumped out at me when I saw them. It's not overly "artsy" and busy, the leaf conveys enough of the "green" image you want without overdoing it, and I think it will also translate well in B&W/gray scale when needed on letterhead or other materials not printed in full color.
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I'd say they're all pretty poor except for six. Unfortunately, it just looks like they laid your initials on top of the leaf with no thought to integration. The lines of the leaf interior and your initials compete. And probably more when just black and white. Maybe if they had worked a bit harder at that one.
  • Options
    StevemacStevemac Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I will also go with concept 6 for simplicity and the fact you
    made this statement (A respectable photographer who is creative and original, and also cares about the environment.)

steve.
  • Options
    new photo guynew photo guy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2009
    3 & 6 are the best. 3 reminds me of Japanese art. Based off your statement above go with 6.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 14, 2009

Customers should imagine:
    A respectable photographer who is creative and original, and also cares about the environment.

Is that the parameter you set when requesting the design? If so I don't see how they've achieved your goal.

Each is pretty in its own way but I don't "see" photography in any of these designs except possibly #5 which emulates a shutter.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I'm not super wowed by any of them, but I usually don't like "busy" looking logos. Of the ones they presented, #6 is ok - but I prefer the font from #3. I think I would like #3 the best if the image above the words were more simplistic. That's just my $.02.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    I think expecting your photography logo to convey that you care about the environment is a bit much. You can put all the trees/leaves/recycling cans you want in your logo and people still aren't going to make that connection unless you tell them (and why would they care, really?).

I agree with most of the others that none of these seem great. :cry #6 is the best but it's pretty close in design to this guy's concept 3: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=150759
  • Options
    iShineiShine Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 24, 2009
    Don't know if it's too late...
    Well, for whatever it's worth, I hate #6. Everything about it is overused in logo design: the fonts (especially the script, aptly named Scriptina, that I pick out of logos, ads and around town at least a dozen times a day), the leaf, the colors. Really. (I would seriously stay away from leaves entirely at this point... the use has become so ubiquitous that describing it as a fad wouldn't be a stretch).

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but as someone who has made a living doing design, I think you should get the honest truth rather than finding out later that 1000 other businesses have similar logos.

If you want the nature theme, I'd go with #5, but with softer colors in the petals/shutter. The "nest" is a unique touch.

JMHO,
    Andi