7D AF vs. 1D?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Cameras
Very interested to hear how the 7D AF stacks up against the 1D. I have a 1DIIN and I'm considering upgrading to either the III or the 7D before Little League Baseball season.

I love the AF on my 1DIIN, but 8mp is getting a little small these days and I'd love better high ISO and all the trimmings of a more modern camera.

Would love to hear from anyone who has owned or used both the 1D and the 7D. No spec speculators please! ;)
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Very interested to hear how the 7D AF stacks up against the 1D. I have a 1DIIN and I'm considering upgrading to either the III or the 7D before Little League Baseball season.

I love the AF on my 1DIIN, but 8mp is getting a little small these days and I'd love better high ISO and all the trimmings of a more modern camera.

Would love to hear from anyone who has owned or used both the 1D and the 7D. No spec speculators please! ;)

No contest...my IDMKIIN is faster at focus aquisition than the 7D and seems to stay locked on in AI Servo at least as well.

My opinoin for your stated use would be the MKIII easily.

So far I'm not thrilled with the noise levels in the 7D either. You get better details at the cost of noise in my limited experience at shooting birds.

Once Adobe fully supports the 7D RAW files things may change for the better. I'm not saying that the 7D is bad...just different and requires a learning curve on editing.

Unless heavy cropping and added reach is needed...get the MK3.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    From this morning 7D using center AF point (not spot AF) and AI Servo at ISO 500 f/6.3.

Moving...yuck...

712136690_M9hMm-L.jpg

Static...yummy...

712136935_E5AhN-L.jpg

Both with 100-400 at 400.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts. Although your Hawk looks pretty decent - the beak and wingtips all look sharp in this albeit downsized example. A little blur in the eye maybe.

Have you tried DPP? I love it. No need to wait for Adobe.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    IMHO the MK2N is the best Canon made.
    I have had 2 MK3's and now a 7D
    Oh how I miss her:cry
    edited November 13, 2009

Interesting, can you elaborate? Would I be better off to hold on to the IIN until I can afford a IV?
    -Jack

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009

John

Please rest assured that she is well loved and cared for here. But I must agree - I like the 7D, and perhaps will love it when the software is updated, but the MkIIN is still my hands down favorite.

I am seriously considering cleaning house and ordering the IV.

ann
    edited November 16, 2009
    Interesting, can you elaborate? Would I be better off to hold on to the IIN until I can afford a IV?

Bueller?
    -Jack

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 16, 2009

The Canon 1D MKII/MKIIN are still very well respected and AF speed and accuracy is part of the reason.

The 1D MKIv is still a relative unknown, but early specs and early previews certainly look good. Many professional sports shooters are also using the 1D MKIII with good success. Vincent Laforet took 3 - 1D MKIII bodies to the 2008 Olympics.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    A side note on 7D RAW processing. I have processed 7D RAW files in Lightroom 2.5, Lightroom 3 Beta, DPP, and CaptureOne 5 Pro and I have a tough time finding a significant difference between the end result. On a 1-10 scale I think there are tenths of a point separating them, not multiple points. To keep it fair, I made only white balance and exposure corrections on all of those and did the rest of my work in Photoshop. They all ended up producing the same results as far as my eye can tell.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited November 17, 2009
    I love DPP. So simple and to the point.

Thanks all. Guess I can keep my IIN for another year or so... and turn my lust towards a 300/2.8! Bad... bad Jack. Bad.
    -Jack