Options

Is it real?

TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited November 14, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
One of my hobbies is building and flying R/C Airplanes. Last May I went to a week long Fly-In in Woodruff, SC, at a field called Triple Tree Aerodrome. I didn't go to fly though (none of the airplanes I have are big enough for this event), I went to shoot them! One of the larger "Scale" model manufacturers, Balsa USA, solicited photos for their advertising from modelers, offering photo credit in the add. Since I'm a modeler before I'm a photographer, I offered a photo to them. My photo is now being used by them in an ad in the November issue of "Model Aviation" magazine, page 129 :barb (although they spelled my last name wrong :huh ). Here is the photo I sent to them.
548556739_R4FKG-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Congratulations! clap.gifclap.gif I would not have known these were models had you not indicated so. The composition is terrific.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Nice photo. I wish I had a buck for every model plane I've flown ( and crashed ). I was at a big regional RC event recently. I was really amazed at the size of some of those planes....I mean 10-12 foot wingspan. I never flew models even approaching that size. The sport has really grown.....no pun intended.

Good luck,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks guys. I remember thinking on the morning I shot this, just how perfect everything was coming together. The fog, the dew, and these beautifully well done models. Unfortunately, the magazine ad quality isn't as good as the 8 x 12 print I have, no doubt due to all the work they had to add to it for their purposes. I did a B/W version, but I have a pretty limited ability with my PSE 7, and it's not as good as a seasoned Pro would be able to do.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Congratulations on getting your photo in a magazine clap.gif

I wouldn't of known either that these were models. They even have little flying men with scarves in the plane rolleyes1.gif So cool....

You must need a large area in which to fly these....ND should fly these since we're so flat with a lot of wide open space :D

The photo did come together so beautifully with the fog. The line up of the planes worked well too.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Morning,

What a great shot, and Congratulations on the getting Published.

The image just has a great look and feel to it, with all the elements coming

together just right.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks Panther and Dogdots.

Dogdots - By ND, I assume you mean North Dakota? And you're right, it is flat and wide open. I spent the first three and a half years of my time in the USAF in Min(dr)ot, ND.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks Panther and Dogdots.

Dogdots - By ND, I assume you mean North Dakota? And you're right, it is flat and wide open. I spent the first three and a half years of my time in the USAF in Min(dr)ot, ND.

Yeppers....ND is North Dakota :D

You've been to Minot so you do know how flat we are rolleyes1.gif I hear the base up by Grand Forks might be flying the Drones unless that changed again. You know the military...always changing their minds :D We had them flying up here during the flood.

It would be neat to see some of those model planes flying around here.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Yeppers....ND is North Dakota :D

You've been to Minot so you do know how flat we are rolleyes1.gif I hear the base up by Grand Forks might be flying the Drones unless that changed again. You know the military...always changing their minds :D We had them flying up here during the flood.

It would be neat to see some of those model planes flying around here.

About the only thing I miss about that place is the long summer days. I definitely don't miss it this time of year!
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    About the only thing I miss about that place is the long summer days. I definitely don't miss it this time of year!

Ha....you aren't a winter person rolleyes1.gif We are actually nice here now. In the 40's and 50's, leaves still falling and still mowing the grass. No snow :D but your right...the summers are wonderful thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Ha....you aren't a winter person rolleyes1.gif We are actually nice here now. In the 40's and 50's, leaves still falling and still mowing the grass. No snow :D but your right...the summers are wonderful thumb.gif

I used to be. I grew up near Ft. Wayne, IN, but Minot ruined that. I've lived along the Gulf Coast for nearly 12 years now and anything under 70F is too cold :cool .
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Great photo! One of those fortunate ones where everything goes and ends perfectly! We all hope for those times! Very well done! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather