Serene Moment

toddliotoddlio Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited November 14, 2009 in Landscapes
This is a shot I took this week as we've been having some great sunsets int he San Diego area. I've got a few from this shoot that I really like. I have shots of this comp with and without the woman but I think she personalizes the moment. This is a jpeg straight out of the camera with a slight shadow lift on the foreground to reveal a little texture and glow that was there. I personally like the overall dark or underexposed feel. Let me know what you think of the image and how it could be improved.

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2009
    Hi, I think the only way to improve this is to print it poster size and hang it on your wall - beautiful. clap.gif

Cheers, Richard.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 14, 2009
    Stunning! Amazing color, and great comp. Personally, I'd like to see a little further into the shadowed area which would bring out the girl more as well. Of course to do that, you'd probably want to work from the RAW image. I don't think I've ever shot a JPG with my 5DMKII. headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • StevemacStevemac Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Must agree stunning picture and deserves to be on the wall ;)

steve.
  • toddliotoddlio Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, I always shoot raw + jpeg so I can see the changes on the lcd from the settings when I choose picture styles, sat, contrast and a lot of times if I really like the colors it gives me a direction to go with in post. Like this one I really like the colors from the jpeg so I'll go back use the raw to pull detail etc. and prepare a file that's ready to print but aim to "redo" canons colors. Usually just identify keepers and trash the rest of the jpegs upon downloading.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 14, 2009
    toddlio wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, I always shoot raw + jpeg so I can see the changes on the lcd from the settings when I choose picture styles, sat, contrast and a lot of times if I really like the colors it gives me a direction to go with in post. Like this one I really like the colors from the jpeg so I'll go back use the raw to pull detail etc. and prepare a file that's ready to print but aim to "redo" canons colors. Usually just identify keepers and trash the rest of the jpegs upon downloading.

Interesting approach, and I can see the merit there. The only problem is that your histogram reflects the picture style enhancements. The more they're enhanced, the more they'll misrepresent the available headroom for each channel that you'd get from the RAWs. That's why some folks shoot with the camera style set to neutral, or even negative.