Question for you Facebookers!

loubelleloubelle Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited November 15, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Okay, I gotta question for those of you who advertise using a Facebook Fan Page. I went to set one up and it asks at the beginning if you already have a Facebook Page. Obviously, yes I do; however, is it in my best interest to link the two together or to create a completely different Facebook account for my business? My personal profile page is linked to my personal email account, etc. However, I would like for all of my business stuff to go to a dedicated business email addy. Also, my personal page is kept private and friendship must be confirmed before other are allowed to view, but I would want my fan page to be visible to everyone of course. Would becoming a fan of my page also allow access to my personal page?

Thanks so much for your insight. I look forward to hearing what ya got to say!

Comments

• thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    i don't have a FB Fan Page and only use FB sparingly, but this is my guess...linking the two together will have no effect on your personal account...there are options about who can see your info - friends, friends of friends, everyone, etc...if you have your info restricted so that ONLY friends see it, then becoming a fan of a page (or your own page) will not allow anyone to see the info - unless they become your friend...now, if you have your access setup to "friend of friends" or whatever it is, then you are allowing a lil more to be able to view it...

basically, restrict your profile as much as you want, and this should be all you need for setting up a Fan Page....
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    There is no option to provide biz email on FB, your page and personal are linked together while they are 2 separate pages. You will have to suggest your fan page to all of your friends. You can also set an option on who can and can not see all your posts. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    I have a personal FB page and a business "fan" page. You can list all your info separately on your biz page, so emails generated by people visiting and looking for your contact info can easily be sent to a separate account.

However, comments on your biz wall and photos don't get sent to your email, so it's easy to miss things. I have to go check it for updates, rather than relying on FB sending me emails. For that reason, I wish I'd made a separate account. That said, I have to say that more than one account is against facebook's TOS, so create a separate one at your own risk. (Lots of people do it, though.)

When someone "fans" you, it's one-sided, meaning you don't have to approve it. It's not like "friending" - you can't see their info and they can't see your personal page, it just means your biz page updates will be in their feed. As mentioned, your friends aren't automatically fans either, so they don't see your biz updates unless they choose to become fans.

Hope this helps!
  • loubelleloubelle Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2009
    Got it! Thanks so much everyone for your input!
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    I have a personal FB page and a business "fan" page. You can list all your info separately on your biz page, so emails generated by people visiting and looking for your contact info can easily be sent to a separate account.

However, comments on your biz wall and photos don't get sent to your email, so it's easy to miss things. I have to go check it for updates, rather than relying on FB sending me emails. For that reason, I wish I'd made a separate account. That said, I have to say that more than one account is against facebook's TOS, so create a separate one at your own risk. (Lots of people do it, though.)

When someone "fans" you, it's one-sided, meaning you don't have to approve it. It's not like "friending" - you can't see their info and they can't see your personal page, it just means your biz page updates will be in their feed. As mentioned, your friends aren't automatically fans either, so they don't see your biz updates unless they choose to become fans.

Hope this helps!

On the flip side Business Pages are totally public. From an advertising perspective, this is a *good thing*. People don't have to be your friend to read your wall (which should be filled with glowing reviews from Fans, links to your dazzling portfolio, etc.). When a customer or friend becomes your Fan, all of their friends can see that and more importantly, can hit your page and see what you're all about. All without having to ask you to be their friend.

It's free advertising. And it's viral advertising. It's always interesting after I become a Fan of something to see which of my friends follow suit. For somebody trying to get their name and business out there, this is an amazing thing, and not exploiting it is silly.

I don't think creating a Personal Page and a Business Page is against Facebook's TOS.

Also, you're completely right about the annoying bug about lack of notification for updates to Business Pages. One lame workaround: if you want to follow any comments on a particular Wall posting that you or your Fans have made, you can "Like" the post and you will then be updated on any activity. It's kind of lame, but it works.