Options

Resizing Images

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Finishing School
I shoot raw with my 40D and I find it very time consuming reducing the sizes in Photoshop 4. The width is 3888 and height 2592. I have been in the habit of resizing them one at a time to a width of 1500 in order to send them in emails or putting them onto Flickr. Is there a faster to resize them? The reason I am asking is because I take hundreds of images in a photo shoot.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Genuine Fractals 6 now has batch resizing........... a little over half way done the page on the right side.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Genuine Fractals 6 now has batch resizing........... a little over half way done the page on the right side.......

Hi there Art. That is no doubt an excellent piece of software. However, I only want to reduce the size of the image for sending in emails. I don't do poster sizes etc etc. I take it there is no where in CS4 I can reduce the size in a single batch. I am probably asking too much.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi there Art. That is no doubt an excellent piece of software. However, I only want to reduce the size of the image for sending in emails. I don't do poster sizes etc etc. I take it there is no where in CS4 I can reduce the size in a single batch. I am probably asking too much.
    Regards
    Bob

That I do not know....I am still using PS 7 & CS.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    That I do not know....I am still using PS 7 & CS.......
    Thanks Art as someone will probably know.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    Howdy.

File>Scripts>Image Processor in CS3. Probably the same in CS4.

Or from Bridge, Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2009
    EDIT: I see that Thunder Rabbit has replied while I was writing my long winded response which was broken by eating lunch! :)
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi there Art. That is no doubt an excellent piece of software.

It never impressed me that much, so mileage varies!

There are many competing products for fractal or "better" than bicubic resizing on the market.

However, I only want to reduce the size of the image for sending in emails. I don't do poster sizes etc etc. I take it there is no where in CS4 I can reduce the size in a single batch. I am probably asking too much.
    Regards
    Bob

Not at all Bob, there are many ways to resize in a batch!

I am not sure if you only wish to resize a single image, or a batch of multiple images...I will presume multiple images and will also presume that you are working on a copy of the original!

1. From Photoshop: File/Scripts/Image Processor

or

2. From Bridge: Tools/Photoshop/Image Processor

or

3. From Photoshop, record an action using the File/Automate/Fit Image command (which should be independent of landscape or portrait orientation) - then run the File/Automate/Batch command referencing the fit image action

or

4. From Photoshop, record an action using the Image/Image Size command and an explict size - then run the File/Automate/Batch command referencing the image size action

If you don't have experience with recording actions and using automate/batch - the first two image processor workflows would be best (and are often best even if one is good with actions).

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx
    http://prepression.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Also Lightroom can do this very easily, and so can Fireworks, so it all depends on what software you have around. But it can be done as a batch, the key is to remember to save the Batch file outputs elsewhere.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    BinaryFX already gave you a good answer. I just wanted to add one caution. If you're going to use the link from Bridge to CS4, using the Image Processor option (which I do, all the time), you need to do separate batches for landscape and portrait. It uses the Image Size command, which requires you to specify the dimensions, and it won't adjust for orientation.

But, it's easy enough to filter by orientation in Bridge, so it's not a big deal. You just need to remember it, otherwise you end up with some strange results.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    EarthDog wrote:
    BinaryFX already gave you a good answer. I just wanted to add one caution. If you're going to use the link from Bridge to CS4, using the Image Processor option (which I do, all the time), you need to do separate batches for landscape and portrait. It uses the Image Size command, which requires you to specify the dimensions, and it won't adjust for orientation.

But, it's easy enough to filter by orientation in Bridge, so it's not a big deal. You just need to remember it, otherwise you end up with some strange results.

Thanks Stephen and Earthdog. I really found that helpful and has answered my problem. I apologise for the delay in answering but I have been away.
    Regards
    Bob