Options

Happenings on the Woodstock Square

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Not sure how these will go over, but I finally got a chance to get out this morning and try, so I'd love some feedback...

713189769_B54mp-XL.jpg

713189833_h5Quy-L.jpg

713189795_dfgAe-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    1 and 3 really work. Using the reflection to augment the rear view in 1 is a good idea. 3 has kind of slow impact. I think 2 is a miss.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    1 and 3 really work. Using the reflection to augment the rear view in 1 is a good idea. 3 has kind of slow impact. I think 2 is a miss.

Thanks for taking a look and giving your insight! Much appreciated!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Number three is the one that did it for me, Karin. The composition isn't award-winning but, with a good look, the human element makes up for it. I can imagine the subject's have relied upon one another many many times in the past. Nice job. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I really like #1. His whole pose is just perfect.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Travis and Andrew, thank you for your input, very helpful! I hope to get out more often to shoot Street/ PJ.
    Karin

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I think number three has a lot of potential. The image itself is fantastic. But my impression is the conversion has left the subjects muddled with the background.

I'm sure others can suggest corrective measures depending on the software you have.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Not sure how these will go over, but I finally got a chance to get out this morning and try, so

Okay - We all seem agreed that #2 is a miss - just a bunch of people meeting on the street - with a dog. Nothing there. Or is there? Or does this photo suffer from what #s1 and 3, much stronger images, also suffer from? And what's that? They are all of situations with enormous potential, that needed to be worked harder:

Number 1 - nice as it is, would be infinitely better if we could see all of the boy's feet. Having the bottom of the feet would complete the image graphically;

Number 2 - just a bunch of people and a dog meeting on the street. What how were they configured an instant later? And an instant after that? What might we see if the photographer had worked her way around the group?

Number 3 - as people have noted, this is a very nice image, strongly evocative of a life time of shared work. But wouldn't it have been stronger if we could see more of the shop window, and sign? Might it not have worked better if the photographer had move around, more behind the couple with the ladder?

However...This is a nice set of images as is. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Thanks michswiss and B.D.
    All very good points! These were taken early morning when not a lot of people were out and about yet, so I was trying to be subtle, and non-intrusive. Just need to get out of that "comfort zone" I guess!
    Karin