Signage

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
From a little photowalk I did back in 2007 around the UT campus area.
713336136_jtfaJ-L.jpg

713336618_zRU8f-L.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Ha....that first sign is a doozie rolleyes1.gif

If it were mine I'd frame it and hang it on my wall :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 15, 2009
    I love collecting signs, so did Walker Evans, and other photographers, so we're in good company, Andrew.

The first "graffiti" is a very interesting sign, in a rather uninteresting situation. Yellow concrete, black asphalt, and grass. Blah!

I think the 'sign' is too centered and too small. I would have preferred to have the sign larger - no question, then, of the shooter's intent - and more of the detail and texture of the concrete wall. I might have omitted the grass and the asphalt entirely, not sure. I would have kept the sign out of the direct center of the image unless my goal was strictly documentary.

I might have given strong consideration to high contrast black and white also, to loose that bright cheery yellow color. Maybe the contrast with the red letters is worth keeping. Your call.

The second image of the official no parking sign is straight forward documentary - I find those funny at times also, especially when there is some one important parked right by the sign!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 15, 2009
    Hi Andrew :D

I agree with pathfinder about the first photo needing some work, but I'd do some work on it and still print it out. Finding a sign like that by a drain ... that's a good one thumb.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I find it ironic that "Your Life Has Meaning" was painted pretty much in the gutter! rolleyes1.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback!! I'll play around with the gutter sign and see what I might be able to extract. This was long before I shot raw, so I only have the jpg from the image.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 15, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    I find it ironic that "Your Life Has Meaning" was painted pretty much in the gutter! rolleyes1.gif

So did I -- That's what I liked so much about that one rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 15, 2009
    That's why I shot it (or at least I'd like to think that's why I shot it...).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 15, 2009
    Based on some very good feedback... Do you think the cheery yellow makes the image more ironic, or is it just distracting? Also, how is the b/w conversion. When I pushed the whitepoint up, the curb got too light IMO, so I kept it about 2/3 of a stop below clipping.

713901324_6rMGv-L.jpg
    713901265_pmjmT-L.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 15, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    That's why I shot it (or at least I'd like to think that's why I shot it...).

I'm sure it was :D -- wish I could find something like that around here.
    edited November 15, 2009
    I liked the yellow -- sunny and cheerful. Goes along with the words of the sign till you see the drain. In the end the yellow color will be personal preference.

Might clone out the imprinted word next to the sign tho.
    edited November 15, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I'm sure it was :D -- wish I could find something like that around here.

Just keep watching the gutter. This was right next to a church, and across the street from the UT Hillel (Jewish Life Center).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 15, 2009
    I 'think' I prefer the B&W but I'm not sure... Nice catch! That's precisely why signs can be so much fun!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 15, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Just keep watching the gutter. This was right next to a church, and across the street from the UT Hillel (Jewish Life Center).

First thought was ...what a strange spot to find it...near a Life Center, but then it probably wasn't.