Options

Any way to get a canvas with a solid border instead of image wrap?

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited September 3, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I haven't ordered a canvas from smugmug yet, mainly because the images that I wanted were cropped too tightly to work with a wrap that has the photo going around the side of the frame. So I had to go with a different lab that offered a solid black or white border on the edges of the frame while keeping the photo completely on the front surface of the canvas.

I'm not even sure if Bay Photo offers this... nothing on their website indicates it. I know there is the stretch canvas option which keeps the image on the front, but it's just stapled on the edges and needs a frame to complete it, unlike a wrap that is ready to be hung.

So am I missing something or is this just not possible when ordering through smugmug?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I'm sorry, it's not possible.
    Rolled canvas from EZ will be ready to put on a stretcher by your framer... no staples at all!
  • Options
    cjphotojapancjphotojapan Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Photoshop in a border so it can be wrapped not the picture. Look at bay photo web site and it should tell you exactly how much is wrapped. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Photoshop in a border so it can be wrapped not the picture. Look at bay photo web site and it should tell you exactly how much is wrapped. Good luck.

Good luck, indeed! Sounds like a pretty expensive experiment. And I don't need the extra hassle of doing that for every image ordered on canvas. I'll just stick with Simply Canvas, I guess.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Good luck, indeed! I'm definitely not going to experiment with something like that. And I don't need the extra hassle of doing that for every image ordered on canvas. I'll just stick with Simply Canvas, I guess.
    We have the Giclee canvas stretch, that doesn't wrap the photo:

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/giclee-canvas-watercolor
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Yeah but as I said in my original post, it's not a finished product. You couldn't just hang it up like that, it would look terrible. It needs to be framed.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Yeah but as I said in my original post, it's not a finished product. You couldn't just hang it up like that, it would look terrible. It needs to be framed.
    If you are framing, why not just get a rolled canvas then? I'm a bit confused, sorry.

ps, you could also do a giclee canvas board, it's gorgeous:

mount_canvasboard_lrg.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    I don't know how I can be more clear... from my original post:
    I know there is the stretch canvas option which keeps the image on the front, but it's just stapled on the edges and needs a frame to complete it, unlike a wrap that is ready to be hung.

I do NOT want to have to frame the canvas. I want to sell my clients a finished product that is ready to hang on their wall as soon as they get it. That's why the stretch canvas is not suitable for this. It's unfinished, with staples visible on the sides and needs to be framed before hanging.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited November 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    If you are framing, why not just get a rolled canvas then?
    I like the ready to hang wraps too, and I also have some photos that I want to go to the edge, not wrap. I think I saw a mention of the Bay Photo ThinWraps - are those going to be an option here (soon)? Or was I engaging in hopeful imagination?

Seems like this might give Tim another option too.

A little later...
    Oops, never mind - I just found the ThinWraps in the Bay Photo catalog, http://www.smugmug.com/prints/thinwraps. Awesome!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    It's unfinished, with staples visible on the sides and needs to be framed before hanging.
    no staples visible:

mounted-canvas-print.jpg
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I think the original poster doesn't want the image to wrap around the edge, but only to stay on the front and then have the edges all black with no staples showing.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Kyle D wrote:
    I think the original poster doesn't want the image to wrap around the edge, but only to stay on the front and then have the edges all black with no staples showing.

Yes. I really cannot fathom how you're not understanding me, Andy. I wanted a wrap like the one you posted that photo of, but with the whole image contained on the front, with a solid black (or white) border on the edges.

You suggested the stretch canvas instead.

I pointed out that the stretch canvas has staples on the side and is therefore not ready to hang out of the box.

You then responded by posting a photo of a wrap canvas and saying "no staples visible". ne_nau.gif

In any case this discussion is pointless because it's clear I can't get what I need from Bay Photo or Smugmug. So I'll be sticking with Simply Canvas for my canvas printing.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Yes. I really cannot fathom how you're not understanding me, Andy.

Tim, I do understand it, and said we don't have the exact thing you're asking for - I'm just trying to be thorough and show you all the alternatives in the catalog, I'm sorry I upset you, Tim :(
  • Options
    psycchic1psycchic1 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2011
    Hi All,
    I'm wondering about the same option. I can testify that I've ordered directly through ROES on Bay Photo the canvas wrap mount, but was able to choose a colored border from a decent sample of various colors. That way, the image did not have to "wrap" around the edges, thereby effectively cropping a tight image even further. (Many of my prints do not have enough edge to "crop" via the 1-2" of extra print on each side necessary for wrapping.) Yet, my customers and I both want the wrapped look/feel and dimension that the canvas wraps offer. The print simply stays on the top and the nice wrapped edges are of a selected color.

Can we get this option added to SmugMug? Many of my clients are asking for it and short of "experimenting" with adding a border in Photoshop and hoping it wraps perfectly onto the canvas is too risky (and expensive) of an experiment. Bay Photo does this work perfectly, but I have no way to order it and charge the customer unless it's through SmugMug. So, SmugMug.... can we get this option added?

Thanks a ton!
    Lisa Langell
    LangellPhotography.com
    Honorable Mention (2010) National Wildlife Federation
    "Photographing the world isn't simply documenting that you saw it...
    ...it's capturing how you experienced it!"
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    psycchic1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm wondering about the same option. I can testify that I've ordered directly through ROES on Bay Photo the canvas wrap mount, but was able to choose a colored border from a decent sample of various colors. That way, the image did not have to "wrap" around the edges, thereby effectively cropping a tight image even further. (Many of my prints do not have enough edge to "crop" via the 1-2" of extra print on each side necessary for wrapping.) Yet, my customers and I both want the wrapped look/feel and dimension that the canvas wraps offer. The print simply stays on the top and the nice wrapped edges are of a selected color.

Can we get this option added to SmugMug? Many of my clients are asking for it and short of "experimenting" with adding a border in Photoshop and hoping it wraps perfectly onto the canvas is too risky (and expensive) of an experiment. Bay Photo does this work perfectly, but I have no way to order it and charge the customer unless it's through SmugMug. So, SmugMug.... can we get this option added?

Thanks a ton!

Don't hold your breath. Smugmug seems to pick which options they think are best, and that's what they offer, regardless of what Bay Photo actually has available and what you and your clients might actually need. I've long since given up on selling anything other than prints through Smugmug for this reason. If someone wants a canvas or something else, I have them order through me directly. More work but at least you can get the product you want and you make a little more profit.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2011
    Don't hold your breath.

I would.