Options

Entering the dojo

dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited November 15, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Hey folks!

This is an image I captured while I was taken pictures of a judo competition in Palo Alto. I was taking photos of two judoka (judo practitioners) going at it, when I noticed that the light changed. I turned around, and this is what I saw!

708598450_Nwpdd-O.jpg

Thanks for taking a look! Canon 5D and 85m 1.8 USM.

- Daniel Chui

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I think it might work better if you cut off the people at the bottom, or would that detract to much?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    My initial reaction was to crop off the bottom but on further study I like them. The woman at the top in the doorway grabbed my attention then moving down, the couple at the railing then finally the competitor with his head bowed. All three led me through the shot from top to bottom.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Nice shot. I agree on cutting off the people at the bottom.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    This is a very nice shot. That light accentuates the fact that the dojo is a special place. Also it makes an abstract composition that works well.

I wish it were a more powerful picture of the people. I suppose the boy in the black shirt is the star of this image. Is he eager to learn martial arts? If his teacher (sen-se?) were in the shot, that would be very interesting?

Oh, and lose the frame. It adds nothing and just takes up pixels. Your shot would be better if shown the size of the shot+frame.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I think it might work better if you cut off the people at the bottom, or would that detract to much?

Hey there!

I'm going to try and alternative crop and see how it works, thanks so much for the suggestion!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    My initial reaction was to crop off the bottom but on further study I like them. The woman at the top in the doorway grabbed my attention then moving down, the couple at the railing then finally the competitor with his head bowed. All three led me through the shot from top to bottom.

THanks Patti!

This is the reason why I didn't crop out the people at the bottom... in a way I feel that it is part of the story (that this is a judo competition we are attending).
    rutt wrote:
    This is a very nice shot. That light accentuates the fact that the dojo is a special place. Also it makes an abstract composition that works well.

I wish it were a more powerful picture of the people. I suppose the boy in the black shirt is the star of this image. Is he eager to learn martial arts? If his teacher (sen-se?) were in the shot, that would be very interesting?

Oh, and lose the frame. It adds nothing and just takes up pixels. Your shot would be better if shown the size of the shot+frame.

Hey Rutt! THank you so much for your comment, and actually I agree wholeheartedly about the frame. I'll lose the frame for the next shots and give you guys some more quality! I had a few variations of the shot, but unfortunately the backlit subject never did anything more interesting.

I don't think the boy was eager to learn martial arts. I think he was eager to go outside for some delicious nachos.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    dychui wrote:
    Hey there!

I'm going to try and alternative crop and see how it works, thanks so much for the suggestion!

Leave the people at the bottom. It adds to the composition. And one other thing...

Welcome to DGrin! clap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I know it's been said a few times already but that's no reason for me to stay silent; lose the frame and leave the bottom. thumb.gif This shot wasn't particularly striking to me initially due to, I think, the lack of the powerful 'people' context. People aside, though, there are some interesting visual elements in this shot which gave my mind time to catch up and realize there are some interesting people elements as well. Nice photo. clap.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Welcome to DGrin!

Nice first post. The light streaming in is eye-catching. Now are you going to share shots of the competition so that we can see what all these people are looking at?thumb.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I find this shot as a whole pleasing and wouldn't crop off the bottom at all. The light coming in the door is wonderful. I think the color helps the photograph work - the green door, green at the bottom, green on the steps.

I agree about losing the border.

Virginia

Email