Evan & Dana

BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in People
Hey everyone! I have been practicing, practicing and practicing some more. This was my second portrait session. They have been married for two years this past oct.

The couple wanted some photos they and their parents could frame for their homes.

We had some fun candid ones as well.

CC Welcomed!

713131598_sne7C-L.jpg

713134076_XtY7o-L.jpg

713132884_C2sc2-L.jpg

713153284_i9uGs-L.jpg

713159922_SxUwB-L.jpg

713156195_vj5BA-L.jpg

713186700_aqhU9-L.jpg

713182840_mD3Ma-L.jpg

713192543_Hdbni-L.jpg

You can see the full set here http://www.bsimonstudio.com/Friends/Evan-and-Dana/10318013_Q4iFh#713131598_sne7C

Good Day!

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I think 4 is the best of your group. What is really hurting these is the open sun that is coming through. For example, #1 has the one side of his face totally blown out from the sun. Their hands are also really over-lit, but that could be corrected relatively easily compared to getting the faces to look right.

I think you have some really nice compositions here, but the uneven lighting is your biggest enemy.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • 1downfall1downfall Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I think 4 is the best of your group. What is really hurting these is the open sun that is coming through. For example, #1 has the one side of his face totally blown out from the sun. Their hands are also really over-lit, but that could be corrected relatively easily compared to getting the faces to look right.

I think you have some really nice compositions here, but the uneven lighting is your biggest enemy.
    I am agreeing here. Although I am fond of #8 more so. The daylight hurt you on these, but I think you have some keepers. Maybe, although time consuming, you can spot edit in LR2 and lighten and darken just specific areas of the face to "bring" them back sort-of-speak.
    Really do like your compositions here.
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    Thanks guys!

I am curious what I should have done differently in these situations. It was early in the morning when the sun was low. For some of the shots it was really tough to eliminate all hotspots but decreasing the ev made the rest of the frame too dark.

It seemed like when I exposed so the right side of the histogram was not clipped that the rest of the shot was way too dark. I tried to expose to the right as much as possible with as little clipping as possible.

My guess is I could have gone lower iso/narrower ap. Prob with that is the background wouldn't be blurred as much.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated since I will likely run into the same problem again.

Thanks again everyone!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I don't believe there is much you can do to avoid the problem by just adjusting your exposure. You could underexpose by a bunch and use artificial light to create the bulk of the lighting for the foreground. Or, you can use what is called a scrim, which is basically a big white sheet that diffuses the sunlight enough that you get some even shade where you need it. In general, you need to avoid dappled sunlight because of the problems it presents.

Some of the pro's may have some better ideas and suggestions.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited November 16, 2009
    Thank you all for your help, it is greatly appreciated and wonderful to know there is a community like this full of people truly willing to help!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Bsimon wrote:
    Thanks guys!

I am curious what I should have done differently in these situations. It was early in the morning when the sun was low. For some of the shots it was really tough to eliminate all hotspots but decreasing the ev made the rest of the frame too dark.

It seemed like when I exposed so the right side of the histogram was not clipped that the rest of the shot was way too dark. I tried to expose to the right as much as possible with as little clipping as possible.

My guess is I could have gone lower iso/narrower ap. Prob with that is the background wouldn't be blurred as much.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated since I will likely run into the same problem again.

Thanks again everyone!

There are techniques to using the sun to your advantage. These types of shots required you to move to full shade. Fill flash can help but not at these angles. For instance, there are pillars in the background and on the shaded side the subjects could have been posed there....using the brighter sun areas in the BG but your subjects remain in shade...then metering for the bg, use flash to correctly expose the subjects.

Here's a rule of thumb to help you....faster shutter speed=less ambient..slower shutter speed = more ambient. The trick is to mix ambient properly without blown highlights. Rather than getting into the sensitivities of ISO, in broad daylight ISO 100 will suffice...sometimes 200. If using mounted flash on camera, set your flash to high speed sync as you may be over 1/200th sec. It doesn't look as though you had any flash here judging by the omission of catchlights. Very seldom will I ever shoot outdoor portraits without an addiitonal light source. Understanding how to use additional light/mixing with ambient/on camera/off camera, etc. is yet another series of practice sessions. Keep working....nothing of any benefit comes easily.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    You have some great advice here to help you for the next time around, so I'll just say that it's a cute set. Despite the blown out bits, I think the couple will enjoy these. I like the gentle, warm colors.

Caroline
    edited November 17, 2009