Options

14 November 2009

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Street and Documentary
713704015_TvFMH-L.jpg

713704443_3u2cL-L.jpg

Let me know what you really think about these.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    rutt wrote:

Let me know what you really think about these.
    Weird that no one has commented...
    These are both terrific, the first is somehow evocative of early Eisenstadt - the second is 'Weegee meets HCB. I particularly like #2, and the hand going out of the frame. Very nice!clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I really dig number two, Rutt. The subject's flamboyance seems to be made more extreme by your choice framing.

Number one seems to be eluding me. I feel like there's a cool photo in there somewhere but can't, for the life of me, figure out what it is. thumb.gif

bdcolen wrote:
    Weird that no one has commented...
    It had only been a couple hours. Give us a chance! rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I find the first one really intriguing and I just love the use of b&w with the grain. Looks to me like the subject just popped a cork on a bottle of champagne. Whatever is going on, it feels festive.

#2, though, is just outstanding. Framing, juxtaposition of the old woman in the foreground against the younger (but still dressed up) woman in the bg, and, yes, the hand moving out of the picture. So much life in this picture!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    They're both excellent, as usual. I have a strong feeling toward #1 as the darkness makes me happy. Too often people think that a "properly" exposed photograph is the way to go. #1 shows us that it's the moment, however it manifests, that is the thing. RUTT! RUTT! RUTT!
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Sometimes things just look better printed by someone who can complete the process. Not everything is meant to be fully appreciated on a computer. Number 1 falls in that category for me.

To the second image. May I be so beautiful once my exterior decides to present me so.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    I want to join the praise - both great shots!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thank you everyone. It's great when you feel you've nailed something and people you respect let you know they think so, too.

Interesting to compare #2 (my DSS entry) with the actual finalists...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Thank you everyone. It's great when you feel you've nailed something and people you respect let you know they think so, too.

Interesting to compare #2 (my DSS entry) with the actual finalists...

Frustrating for me, in a way, but expected.

Not that there aren't some excellent and beautiful shots in the finals, because there are - only that the photos that made the finals for the most part are much the same in subject matter and/or artistic approach as those seen in all other challenge finals.

For me, it just underlines the importance of the PJ forum. Thanks Richard and BD for giving those of us who are interested a chance to learn and grow in a supportive environment.

Virginia

Email