Nock Nock

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Archery is a tough sport to shoot (pun always intended) to get interesting angles. Probably the best angles are off limits due to safety rules...

713412737_HDhVm-XL.jpg

713413822_qav4n-XL.jpg

713418002_qNqYv-XL-1.jpg

First two shot with 135mm at f/2. Third one with 35mm at f/1.4

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I really love the first one.
    Second one doesn't seem to have anything in focus, but has kinda of a watercolor effect.
    I like the use of the shadows in the third one, but all the holes make it less interesting than the first for me.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Second one doesn't seem to have anything in focus, but has kinda of a watercolor effect.
    I like the use of the shadows in the third one, but all the holes make it less interesting than the first for me.

The first is the best photo of the three.

The second one fascinates me as I locked focus on the feathers and then moved a few inches toward the target. The focus is on the "widest" appearing portion of the shaft. What surprised me was that the cylinder of the shaft appears to narrow to a point due to the bokeh of the lens.

The effect in the third photo surprised me as well. The colors in the shadows are the initial draw, but a search for the arrows again has them virtually disappearing except for the splashes of colors that are left. And BTW, the holes number almost as many in the first two photos, but are "erased" with the DOF/bokeh effects. I thought the holes would have been better if more were in the yellow... mwink.gif

I thought these would make an interesting series on the effect of bokeh on such a target. All three have minimal PP.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
    Randy
    edited November 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks Randy.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Very nice series. I like the first one best because of the angle and the action. I actually like the holes in #3 because it shows the whole story of that target, including all the misses!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    I really like the first one here but #3 is a very close second. Nice work thumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited November 18, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Very nice series. I like the first one best because of the angle and the action. I actually like the holes in #3 because it shows the whole story of that target, including all the misses!

Lauren

Glad you like them! All three surprised me in some fashion after I took them.
    edited November 18, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I really like the first one here but #3 is a very close second. Nice work thumb.gif

Your order of preference mirrors mine. Thanks for looking and commenting!