Final SF Sunset :)

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Landscapes
Those that follow my posts (both of you, lol) know that this has been an ongoing process of education for me. So here are parts 1 and 2 and now this third set. This time I stepped back a bit instead of just doing up close shots. I'm done with SF sunset for awhile I think.

Part 1: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=149111

Part 2: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=149775

713328292_W8tBU-L.jpg

#2 They use rakes to make a pattern in the sand
713337812_TMkKZ-L-1.jpg

713329430_fPpgp-L.jpg

713329097_NFWmS-L-1.jpg

713329546_rFsX4-L-1.jpg

#6 I also took pics of surfers
713332993_Afnn6-L-2.jpg

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    #1 has way too much sky without a lot of interesting elements in the sky. The mountains in the distance are very interesting and the horizontal lighting is doing some beautiful things with the beach itself. The landscape is much more exciting than the sky in this one. That said, you still need sky for the contrast. Might help to compose with the sun out of the frame.

#2 would be better without the sun in it -- the rake patterns are really interesting and you definitely have the sun in the right position to provide the nice horizontal light that just brings texture right out. The rake patterns look great in this photo!

#5 has the horizontal light again, which is awesome. Not sure I like the beach that is closest to me being fuzzy though. Where the texture picks up just beyond that, it's quite nice! If you had more depth of field that kept the texture running to the edge of the frame, this would be my favorite shot in this series.

That's my 0.02. Take it for what it's worth. :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I love your series! I have seen them but I didn't think of them as connected. This makes a lot more sense now. :D

The colors that time of day are so beautiful, no matter what you do. I don't mind so much not having a traditionally powerful subject, but that might be just me. And I like your focus on the details of the beach, things that we would usually over look. I've never actually heard of a beach where they made patterns like that, but your shot of them really shows how intricate they are.

Nice job!
  • RxRickRxRick Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    These are great. I like #2, and I *like* the sun in the picture. I'd straighten the horizon, though.

--RxRick
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I need to pay closer attention to the horizons for sure. Good points on the sun being a bit too much in some shots too.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    I really like #2 & #4. The rake pattern is captivating and I think you did it justice. And #4 is a great angle and composition.

Which SF beach was this? I would like to seek it out if it is a regular happening.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Ocean beach. I don't know how often they make the patterns. It was last saturday so not sure if they will return or not!