update to need advice about night wedding and question

emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in Technique
SO don't know if this is where this goes, so feel free to move it, but...

Ok so I have decided to rent and am trying to book a few extra sessions to offset the cost of the rental. Thx to another pro I found the d700 on rentglass.com for far cheaper than elsewhere and they're going to hold it for me. But I also need some glass for it. They seem to offer more options then elsewhere as well, but you can only rent one lens when getting a camera body and so I need advice on which lens to get. I wanted something with a lot of range so I don't have to worry about switching mid quick ceremony, but no one has really fast zoom glass. So since I haven't done a ton os weddings and this is completely different then I've ever done I'm looking to you guys to help. I may even rent a second one off another site, but want to see what's suggested first.

here's the site with the available lenses.
https://www.rentglass.com/shop.aspx?type=Nikon

Comments

• jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    I would think going with a Nikon 24-70 2.8 would be a good place to start...

https://www.rentglass.com/itemdetail.aspx?showitem=530
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    unclejon wrote:
    I would think going with a Nikon 24-70 2.8 would be a good place to start...

https://www.rentglass.com/itemdetail.aspx?showitem=530

thanks that's what I was thinking as it's close to what I use most the time, just a little faster.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I am curious, (ok my ex girl friends call me something else, but that's another story). :D

What equipment do you have now? What are you hoping to gain with the d700?

Are you looking to change from your current brand to Nikon?

If you go through your current wedding photos what is the most used focal length?

If your renting a brand new, (to you) camera have you thought about flash?

Also doing a wedding with an unfamiliar camera could lead to problems.

Sam
    edited November 16, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    I am curious, (ok my ex girl friends call me something else, but that's another story). :D

What equipment do you have now? What are you hoping to gain with the d700?

Are you looking to change from your current brand to Nikon?

If you go through your current wedding photos what is the most used focal length?

If your renting a brand new, (to you) camera have you thought about flash?

Also doing a wedding with an unfamiliar camera could lead to problems.

Sam

I have a d70, all I'm looking to gain is additional iso abilities since this wedding is outside at night. I have already thought about flash, but my bride wants some atmospheric shots so it'll be easier with the d700, plus i've really been wanting to get my hands on one for a while. I'll have quite a few days to play before the wedding. I'm used to using my 18-70 with a dx sensor and use both ends of that scale fairly equally depending on what I'm going for. I also plan on bringing my d70 as a backup camera.

and I'm asking about glass b/c I would like a more all purpose, but faster lens than I currently own as besides my 50mm prime the lowest my lenses go is 3.5
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Thanks,

I know have a better idea of what your trying to do, and it sounds very reasonable.

Unfortunately the all purpose 15-200 mm 1.2 lens is out of my price range, so next to that I think we need to compromise and use two or more lenses to cover the focal length.

I think Nikon has a very well regarded 24-70 2.8 lens. This would be the equivalent to 15-43 mm on your present camera.

Maybe use the d700 with the 24-70 2.8 and your d70 with flash and a longer focal length. Or a really fast prime on the d700, and the 24-70 2.8 on the d70??

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sam
  • CanonRebelzCanonRebelz Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I'm a Canon user but I thought I'd say something.
    The 24-70 is prob your best bet. But I went to the rentglass.com site, clicked "show only in stock items" and it's not in stock. Hope you have time till your wedding, because someone could have rented it for up to 3 weeks.
    Save $5 off your SmugMug subscription by using this code fb25FQ7gR6O96!
    edited November 16, 2009
    I'm a Canon user but I thought I'd say something.
    The 24-70 is prob your best bet. But I went to the rentglass.com site, clicked "show only in stock items" and it's not in stock. Hope you have time till your wedding, because someone could have rented it for up to 3 weeks.

yup just saw that myself about to email them, that's how i got the body reserved for me, they're even giving me a couple extra days for the week rate. so I'm hoping the lense or one of my other choices is available and then I'll just get this lense from borrowlenses.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    +1 on the nikkor 24-70mm 2.8. You can shoot the whole wedding with this and the d700
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited November 16, 2009
    so clap.gifwings.gifivar they're getting that lens in wednesday and adding it to my order!!! I'm super excited this order alone with the lens and body saved me like 70-80 dollars.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    +1 on the nikkor 24-70mm 2.8. You can shoot the whole wedding with this and the d700

I'd be inclined to add a 70-200 f/2.8 as well if (as is often the case) there's a good chance that the photographer will be more than a few yards away from the altar during the ceremony.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
    edited November 16, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    I'd be inclined to add a 70-200 f/2.8 as well if (as is often the case) there's a good chance that the photographer will be more than a few yards away from the altar during the ceremony.

thanks thinking about it. I took my old 35mm film and 70-200 lens I have for that and took it outside and estimated the distance from the back of the ceremony to the front and I could be all the way at the back and get really close, but unsure if it's a necessity one now. Also thinking about a fisheye since some shots of bridal party will be in a narrow room, but still haven't decided.

the ONLY thing I don't like about rentglass.com so far is that if you rent a camera body you can only rent one lens unless you send in insurance documentation and everything. I completely understand, but since it's not needed not willing to go through it all right now.
    edited November 17, 2009
    I know I said get the nikon 24-70 as it should be a fantastic lense but i was thinking that you might think about getting a tamron 28-75 2.8 and getting the insurance. There is nothing worse then being on a budget and breaking someone elses gear. Believe me I KNOW. Here is a link...

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/nikon_standard/Tamron_28-75_nikon
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

edited November 17, 2009
    unclejon wrote:
    I know I said get the nikon 24-70 as it should be a fantastic lense but i was thinking that you might think about getting a tamron 28-75 2.8 and getting the insurance. There is nothing worse then being on a budget and breaking someone elses gear. Believe me I KNOW. Here is a link...

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/nikon_standard/Tamron_28-75_nikon

why the difference since there's only about a 5mm difference?
    And I TOTALLY get the damage insurance they offer.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Stay with the Nikor 24-70 f/2.8 and take a pass on the the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

I have the Tamron, it is sharp with good color and contrast and I love it. But it has at least one wart - it's a little slow to focus (as in, it tends to hunt a bit) in darker environs. You don't want to miss a shot because you were waiting for the lens to figure things out. I understand working with a budget, but you really, really want to get and use the best equipment you can for a once-in-a-lifetime event.
    edited November 18, 2009
    Stay with the Nikor 24-70 f/2.8 and take a pass on the the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

I have the Tamron, it is sharp with good color and contrast and I love it. But it has at least one wart - it's a little slow to focus (as in, it tends to hunt a bit) in darker environs. You don't want to miss a shot because you were waiting for the lens to figure things out. I understand working with a budget, but you really, really want to get and use the best equipment you can for a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Very true....I was simply trying to create a little extra room for damage insurance which you were going to get anyway. So get the good stuff and the damage insurance.