Options

11-15-2009 San Francisco Mission District

dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I know it is 11-15-2009 because Left 4 Dead 2 comes out tomorrow.

Today I went to the San Francisco Mission District because my 11-year-old brother, Kenny, was participating in a fencing competition there. Before his matches started, I wandered around the Mission District I wandered around with my RICOH GR-DIII and had a blast!

714729480_RaK67-O.jpg

Above: boys warming up before their fencing matches

714729503_qXegb-O.jpg

Above: something about this window and curtain creeped me out... the curtain kept moving but I couldn't see what was behind it.

714729532_GG5fy-O.jpg

Above: outside a bar, I sat on a bench and waited for the right person to walk by... also lowered the shutter speed to get some motion blur.

714729546_FSiLb-O.jpg

Above: this graffiti was so interesting! As I was taking this shot, the guy waved at me and said, "Take some good pictures, okay!!"

I was happy to oblige!

- Daniel Chui

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thank you for sharing these, Daniel.

I like #4 the best. The expression on the man's face echos the expression of the face on the wall. I'm undecided about whether I would like it better if the man walking through the picture were not blurred. On the one hand, the similarities in expression would be more pronounced. On the other hand, some of the sense of motion that gives the photo some life would be diminished.

#1 is interesting. I find it disconcerting and intriguing that there is no interaction between the boys. I like the long shadows. The young man in the center looking up is arresting. What is he doing, I want to know. In a way, I wish that the boy in the foreground weren't there. I think that without him, the pattern made by the long shadows would be stronger and, for me, the photograph would have worked better graphically. Without your explanation, I would not have a clue as to what is going on - which is not a bad thing.

I like #2. The graphics are pleasing and the partially open curtain adds a subtle sense of mystery.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    All your photos showed some type of movement in them -- even the window curtain :D I like them all thumb.gifthumb.gif