Options

DSS #37 Unofficial Feedback Thread - Fill the Frame

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited November 24, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is the official gallery to give your C&C for DSS#37

Find Gallery Here...

Once more into the fray. This unofficial feedback thread is a catch-all of sorts, lets make it happen:thumb

Anyway, let's start feedback on DSS #37!!

This thread is:
  • a place to post a list of your top ten favorites. (be heard, and let everyone know what images moved you.)
  • a place to post your "the making of my image"
  • a place to ask someone "how did they do that?"(for us all to see:D )
Feedback is an important part of the photographic process. While those selected as finalists get feedback from the judges and those who vote, others are never quite sure where they stand. So share your thoughts both in this thread and with comments in the actual gallery. Constructive criticism should always be welcome.

It's easy to post thumbnails (with help from our Moderator).

With the image selected in the gallery, copy its URL from your browser, add "-Th.jpg" to the end, delete the jumble of numbers and letters preceding the hashtag (#), change "gallery" to "photos" and that's it.

Example

Change this url

http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-33/9546126_UcMnF#646702914_YfHpk

To this (minus the space in the IMG tags)

[IMG ]http://challenges.smugmug.com/photos/646702914_YfHpk-Th.jpg[/IMG ]

Happy Feedbacking :scratch

Comments

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Good luck everyone. Lots of great images. Here are my favorites, in no particular order. It was hard to pick and really should have listed more.
    705721904_Np33v-Th.jpg706223146_hd27T-Th.jpg708502343_bTSxm-Th.jpg711168800_zTEBu-Th.jpg711636452_ZzTWU-Th.jpg713072389_7LXNb-Th.jpg714391228_FdfKf-Th.jpg713680382_86MEJ-Th.jpg713114114_y5uvD-Th.jpg710253478_VxtZd-Th.jpg
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I finally took the time to figure out how to post the images for a top ten. Not sure why they arent the same size, but maybe next time I can figure that out. There were so many that I really liked, but these are the ones that appealed to me the most...Great job by all, there is such talent here!

705721904_Np33v-Th.jpg706223146_hd27T-Th.jpg708502343_bTSxm-Th.jpg710099143_CAEcd-Th.jpg711636452_ZzTWU-Th.jpg
    713241002_DLMyc-Th.jpg713680382_86MEJ-Th.jpg713753473_qMcT2-Th.jpg714299141_wQPtT-Th.jpg714319080_fjjEs-Th.jpg
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    These contests are getting harder and harder to pick favorites! Everybody's game just keeps getting better and better with each challenge. These are some of my favs in gallery order:

706223146_hd27T-Th.jpg708502343_bTSxm-Th.jpg710099143_CAEcd-Th.jpg710103513_D9sWk-Th.jpg711636452_ZzTWU-Th.jpg714299020_do9Xx-Th.jpg714299141_wQPtT-Th.jpg714319080_fjjEs-Th.jpg714623392_i55Q4-Th.jpg714522585_tBGMA-Th.jpg
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    My Top Ten!
    715127422_Qa2tU-L.jpg
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Dave asked me to show the lighting setup I did for my shot "Sumptuous". It is quite simple, but proved to be effective. In addition to what you are seeing in this image, I used an on-camera flash, as well, as noted in the picture. Here it is:

714306413_4vXEv-XL.jpg
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I have to thank you for this explanation Allen. For me the artificial lighting is a total mystery...rolleyes1.gif
    - but not the only one rolleyes1.gif

My question however is how did you find that beautiful model wearing that fantastic outfit and make-up??? headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    My favs:

707286638_mKpDn-Th.jpg710099143_CAEcd-Th.jpg710103513_D9sWk-Th.jpg711636452_ZzTWU-Th.jpg713072389_7LXNb-Th.jpg713241002_DLMyc-Th.jpg713799066_wFm8i-Th.jpg713893951_Z4b6t-Th.jpg714522585_tBGMA-Th.jpg714755654_orLUt-Th.jpg

Thanks to those who included me in their top ten :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Dave asked me to show the lighting setup I did for my shot "Sumptuous". It is quite simple, but proved to be effective. In addition to what you are seeing in this image, I used an on-camera flash, as well, as noted in the picture. Here it is:

Thanks for sharing Allen. It's a gorgeous shot. Nicely done!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Choosing was extremely hard this time! There are so many good entries that I had to keep narrowing it down trying to choose the best for the theme! So in no particular order:

Greensquared – Antioxidants
    photo-bug: Autumn fireworks
    dlscott56 - Finding Hope
    Chandi - Fractals in Nature
    davev - 10 Pointer
    ic4u – Lamborghini
    AaronNelson – Poset
    KevXman - Not Forgotten
    nightpixels – Sumptuous
    Aspecto5 - The Beginning of a Ripple
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited November 16, 2009
    OK...I have sent in my top 10 list. I will add comments after the voting starts...

Now the drumroll begins!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

You all did marvelous work and it took me all day to wean it down...and even then had to cut some favs.thumb.gif
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Thanks Aspectos and others who commented on my entry.

And thanks for these challenges! I've been under a TON of stress at work lately and it was great to have an excuse to force myself to go out and shoot. Best. Therapy. Ever. clap.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    great images
    Very tough choices. This is only my second challenge and I'm totally blown away by the talent of this group.

Here are my 10:

Greensqaured- antioxidants
    ghinson- Squab
    MrsCue- Head shot
    Nightpixels-sumptuous
    rteest42- Thanks Ida
    JWear- Gone fishing
    davev- 10 pointer
    Chandi-Fractals in nature
    ic4u- lamborghini
    HoofClix- Sand Dancing

Best of luck to all,

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    fotomomfotomom Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Ribbons of Light Setup
    Hi,
    WhatSheSaw asked if I'd share my setup on my Ribbons of Light entry. Sure...

Are you ready? OK... We used lightsabers. Well, lightsaber attachments for our Wii remotes...the ones we use to play the Lightsaber Duels game. They come in a 2-pack at Gamestop and one is red and one is blue. LED.

I think you know my kids are good sports about helping me with my pictures. We did a trial run a week ago, and there was glare from the family room TV screen and the curio cabinet in the shots, so I put blankets over them. Then, I put Joey in a black hooded sweatshirt on backwards, as in over his face, so hopefully he'd be invisible in the shots. Then I coaxed him to swing the lightsabers around and let me take pics. I used an exposure time of 1 second. I told Joey not to swing them 'too' fast. Lots of really neat effects like some shots where the red and blue made purple. Fun!

Thanks to those that made comments on my photo:-) Lots of really great entries this round as always! Always fun to participate!
    Maryann
    (fotomom)
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    I have added my critiques to my top 10 picks in the album. If you would like a critique of your image in the album, please feel free to PM me and I will try and leave a critique in the album for you.

I am now going to focus on getting ready for my cruise. So unfortunately will not be entering any challenges till mid december. (I suppose I should find out when the next Mega round is....).headscratch.gif
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I have added my critiques to my top 10 picks in the album. If you would like a critique of your image in the album, please feel free to PM me and I will try and leave a critique in the album for you.

I am now going to focus on getting ready for my cruise. So unfortunately will not be entering any challenges till mid december. (I suppose I should find out when the next Mega round is....).headscratch.gif

Great job, JAG. We always say that it is really difficult to pick 10 images, but this time I believe that really was the case. Have a wonderful time at your cruise.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Great job, JAG. We always say that it is really difficult to pick 10 images, but this time I believe that really was the case. Have a wonderful time at your cruise.

Thanks I certainly will.clap.gif

I just looked up the next Mega round and its starting Nov. 30! Oh my! I am gonna have to hope something hits me on the theme right away...cause that will only give me a couple days to shoot! Then I wont get to see the results unless I buy internet connection on the ship of a couple bucks a minute!eek7.gif I must be addicted to these challenges.:seamus
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Thanks I certainly will.clap.gif

I just looked up the next Mega round and its starting Nov. 30! Oh my! I am gonna have to hope something hits me on the theme right away...cause that will only give me a couple days to shoot! Then I wont get to see the results unless I buy internet connection on the ship of a couple bucks a minute!eek7.gif I must be addicted to these challenges.:seamus

I have the solution for you. I'll go on the cruise for you, that will give you plenty of time to get ready for the challenge. Don't worry, I'll take lots of pictures.:D
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Hi all! I was asked to share my setup for "Antioxidants", so here goes:

Homemade light box - large clear plastic tub with desk lamp laid down inside and pointed up. White gauze fabric placed on top for diffusion. Clear perspex on top of that. Sliced fruit placed lovingly on the perspex. Shoot from above. That's about it! Oh, I did use, for the first time, my close-up filters. Stacked several together to give ample magnification.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited November 17, 2009

Homemade light box - large clear plastic tub with desk lamp laid down inside and pointed up. White gauze fabric placed on top for diffusion. Clear perspex on top of that. Sliced fruit placed lovingly on the perspex. Shoot from above. That's about it! Oh, I did use, for the first time, my close-up filters. Stacked several together to give ample magnification.
    It came out very nice. I have to try this. Thanks for sharing your set up.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009

Very good idea and great result Emily. Thank you for sharing - I'll have to look for some of these
    "close-up filters" too for macros. - I read someplace about them, but didn't know if they were effective or not...
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Thank you very much JAG for your comments - this make me feel soo proud :ivar

Many thanks to everybody who left comments on my entry iloveyou.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I have the solution for you. I'll go on the cruise for you, that will give you plenty of time to get ready for the challenge. Don't worry, I'll take lots of pictures.:D

Yeah...nice try!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Thank you very much JAG for your comments - this make me feel soo proud :ivar

Many thanks to everybody who left comments on my entry iloveyou.gif

Your welcome!:D
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    ya go away for a few days and...
    WOW!!! I'm a finalist????

THANK YOU!!!!

I am amazed at the variety of incredible interpretations of the theme....and all are so good!!!!

Guess it's good thing I don't have to scratch my head to figure out MY favorite, right?rolleyes1.gif

Someone critiqued and said they liked the addition of the water.... believe me the WATER was there... 3 straight days of rain from TS Ida... (I went down to the James River yesterday and holy cow...the amount and the strength and the breadth of the water rising...)

Thanks guys...
    Trish
    PS heading to work now, but I will do some appreciating of images tonight or tomorrow!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2009
    lighting setup
    Dave (dlscott56) asked about how I lit "over the edge". I decided to put it here because the other thread is about the winner(s) not about the behind the scenes etc...

Lighting on this is dead simple. Because of the nature of both glass and water you want a very large area of light if possible and you also want it to fall off quickly so that things in a surrounding room do not show in the reflections. You could build a light tent that surrounds your subject with light but it is much harder to use water in that type of situation.

I opted to use one flash set at 1/4 power (the lower the power the faster the flash). the flash is sitting level with the top of the glass and pointed at a 45 degree angle at a white background. It is the reflected light from the background that lights the scene from behind. This setup is why you see a slight graduation of bright to dark from the left side to the right side.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Sean
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Dave (dlscott56) asked about how I lit "over the edge". I decided to put it here because the other thread is about the winner(s) not about the behind the scenes etc...

Lighting on this is dead simple. Because of the nature of both glass and water you want a very large area of light if possible and you also want it to fall off quickly so that things in a surrounding room do not show in the reflections. You could build a light tent that surrounds your subject with light but it is much harder to use water in that type of situation.

I opted to use one flash set at 1/4 power (the lower the power the faster the flash). the flash is sitting level with the top of the glass and pointed at a 45 degree angle at a white background. It is the reflected light from the background that lights the scene from behind. This setup is why you see a slight graduation of bright to dark from the left side to the right side.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Sean
    Makes sense. Thanks Sean. Tried a couple here but still need some work. Always love learning something new.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Makes sense. Thanks Sean. Tried a couple here but still need some work. Always love learning something new.

Thanks again.

I am tickled that you were inspired to try the same thing.thumb.gif The first one is pretty darn close. Try it with just one flash and see what you get. Just so you know I did the shot about 8 times to get the splash look I was after. Also I'm not sure if it has any bearing on things but I used my 135 F2 with an extension tube to let me get closer.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I am tickled that you were inspired to try the same thing.thumb.gif The first one is pretty darn close. Try it with just one flash and see what you get. Just so you know I did the shot about 8 times to get the splash look I was after. Also I'm not sure if it has any bearing on things but I used my 135 F2 with an extension tube to let me get closer.
    I've tried a few more times and got pretty close with this shot. I've learned a lot with this round and had a lot of fun. But, now I've had my "fill" of it and am ready to move on.
    Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I've tried a few more times and got pretty close with this shot. I've learned a lot with this round and had a lot of fun. But, now I've had my "fill" of it and am ready to move on.
    Thanks again for your help.

I would say that is more than close. it looks like it could be from the same shoot that I did.
    Awesome stuff. I know what you mean about moving on. I have no interest in doing another shot like that for quite some time. I still want to try getting a double drop crashing splash flower like this master of the water drop Martin Waugh

One day.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I would say that is more than close. it looks like it could be from the same shoot that I did.
    Awesome stuff. I know what you mean about moving on. I have no interest in doing another shot like that for quite some time. I still want to try getting a double drop crashing splash flower like this master of the water drop Martin Waugh

One day.

Wow, those are incredible.