Soft side of the Desert

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited November 17, 2009 in Landscapes
Feeling a wee bit homesick for the hills in WV; we took a quick trip to the desert to remedy that. Quite the contrast from the autumn colored hills that I just left. Below is a pic of the landscape. But if one gets close and opens the eyes there is softness and beauty to be seen. Here are a few closer pictures taken from this landscape. (I don’t know if this is to go in landscape or other cool shots should it need moved) suggestions always welcome.

713890919_ZYntb-XL.jpg

- centered I know but wanted to include the Christmas colors that I rarely see in the desert -
713918512_4ZUgH-L.jpg

713905772_XUCE5-L.jpg

713906009_ZwvP5-L.jpg

713918026_W4Jkj-L.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    I love abstracts of plants like that, with such great lines and bokeh thumb.gif

The first shot of the desert doesn't actually look like a desert to me! My first thought was that it looks like winter is coming. A very neat perspective on such a terrain. Where is this? ear.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    That first image is well composed, in what looks like an area challenging to find anywings.gif
    I do like the trees breaking up the horizon and the river rocks in the FG. I have been known to keep a few such FG boulders for my yard:D
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    clap.gif These do not look like the desert at all!

I really like #2, #3, and #5 thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I love abstracts of plants like that, with such great lines and bokeh thumb.gif

The first shot of the desert doesn't actually look like a desert to me! My first thought was that it looks like winter is coming. A very neat perspective on such a terrain. Where is this? ear.gif

Thanks Schmoo - this is around an area north of Phoenix. Not much cactus but lots of odd stuff around.:D
    edited November 17, 2009
    That first image is well composed, in what looks like an area challenging to find anywings.gif
    I do like the trees breaking up the horizon and the river rocks in the FG. I have been known to keep a few such FG boulders for my yard:D

Rock yards are very popular here! :D Too see life, I had to look at the ground! Thanks for the comment.
    edited November 17, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    clap.gif These do not look like the desert at all!

I really like #2, #3, and #5 thumb.gif

Yes - one would think these were taken in a lush, green field. Still - had to be careful poking my face in grasses because of the snakes - a constant reminder of where I am at! eek7.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Neat perspectives

I think the sat on #3 is spot on. #4 & #5 might be helped by more.

I think #5 has the most potential, if saturated/sharpened
    Rags
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    really nice series! Love the DOF!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    edited November 17, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Neat perspectives

I think the sat on #3 is spot on. #4 & #5 might be helped by more.

I think #5 has the most potential, if saturated/sharpened
    I gave it a bit of saturation but I didn't want it to have too colorful of a look. (and another shot of the wheat) - Thanks for the comment!

716397498_dhWHt-L.jpg

716445061_hAhUd-L.jpg
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    713890919_ZYntb-S.jpg
    There is a shadow in the foreground of this image (cast by someone standing to the left of the photographer?) that I find distracting. The horizon set across the midpoint also doesn't work for me.

However I find the other shots very well made. thumb.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    "I gave it a bit of saturation but I didn't want it to have too colorful of a look. (and another shot of the wheat)"

These are not easy shots to do. The damn subjects are moving in the wind. These folks who do macro work, must deal with that all the time.

Nice edgy shots
    Rags
    edited November 17, 2009
    torags wrote:
    "I gave it a bit of saturation but I didn't want it to have too colorful of a look. (and another shot of the wheat)"

These are not easy shots to do. The damn subjects are moving in the wind. These folks who do macro work, must deal with that all the time.

Nice edgy shots
    15524779-Ti.gif Yep - you said it! The wind would blow just as I was ready...boy it got aggravating! Ii appreciate those macro people! :D
    edited November 17, 2009
    There is a shadow in the foreground of this image (cast by someone standing to the left of the photographer?) that I find distracting. The horizon set across the midpoint also doesn't work for me.

However I find the other shots very well made. thumb.gif

No cast from a human; most likely a tree...I was alone here. Thanks for the comment that helps me learn! clap.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    No cast from a human; most likely a tree...I was alone here.
    Maybe you apply some treatment to lighten this area to dissolve the shadow? ne_nau.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    Very nice set, Eia. Great job on some delicate captures. One can find all sorts of different beauty and compositions in the desert if one takes the time to look. I'm guessing you spend a LOT of time looking too. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel