Options

U12 boys backlit soccer.

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in Sports
My son's team has finally started up while my daughter's takes her high school break. I was faced with the choice of harsh, direct Florida sun or backlighting.eek.gif

My first inclination was to shoot with the sun at my back. This consistently yielded mediocre photos with strong shadows in the eyes.
713053250_HNfeW-XL.jpg

I strolled around to the other end of the field and shot into the sun with some strong backlighting the rest of the game. All done manual after a quick spot metering.

713053274_v8qNc-L.jpg

713054644_CozFS-L.jpg

713053969_gYhy6-L.jpg

713053539_zPBPj-L.jpg

713053672_VBRVg-L.jpg

713054527_rNbNu-L.jpg

Nothing great, but no need to fear the backlighting.biggrin.gif
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    These are nice shots. I always debate this issue when shooting any sports. Did you spot meter the camera? The faces are nicely exposed, usually the faces in backlit shots like these, are a bit underexposed.clap.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Jacobovs wrote:
    These are nice shots. I always debate this issue when shooting any sports. Did you spot meter the camera? The faces are nicely exposed, usually the faces in backlit shots like these, are a bit underexposed.clap.gif

I spot metered these on the facial skin and then shot the whole lot in manual mode. The grass is a bit hot, but by excluding the sky in the composition, I was able to get some usable shots.

Parents only care about seeing the eyes and well exposed faces. The fact that the grass is a bit hot doesn't seem to bother most viewers.