Keyword gallery showing no pictures when logged out

MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in Bug Reporting
I'm still learning keywords and I have keyworded all photos in this gallery: http://malte.smugmug.com/External/Embeds/Public-Kade-gallery/10080386_HAAxe#691670597_Pac8z with the word public. The gallery is not password protected, it's public and external links are on. I can view these pictures as a keyword gallery (http://malte.smugmug.com/keyword/public#691683816_bXJmu) fine when logged in but when I log out they disappear. :dunno:cry

I can't remember if I ever tried logging out before so I can't say when this started.

Malte

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Check your SmugIslands settings for that gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    jfriend wrote:

I'm a noob when it comes to SmugIslands... :confused

Under "Hello world!" and "Hello smuggers!" in gallery settings I have "Use site-wide setting" ticked, and the other option is "No", which I guess could mean either "No, don't use site-wide settings" or "No, don't allow Hello world! / Hello smuggers!.

My site-wide setting is set to "No" for "Hello world!" and to "No - Total lockdown" for "Hello smuggers!". I would've liked to see a "Yes" option in gallery settings. Otherwise, the way I interpret this, I'd have to make the site-wide option more open and restrict the option for all other galleries but this one.

Am I getting this?

Do you know which setting is required?

Malte
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2009
    Malte,

It is confusing but what it is saying is No, do not show my photos to Google or other Smuggers.

The Use site settings is there because if set, the galleries inherit the site settings. So even if you have the gallery set to yes the site setting set to no would override it.

Now, for the original issue, I am pretty sure I bugged that last night. Someone else had reported it. I am not sure why it is happening but it is weird.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2009
    wait, change that... I see now. The gallery is unlisted. Unlisted galleries do not show the keywords in the gallery page.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
    edited November 17, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    wait, change that... I see now. The gallery is unlisted. Unlisted galleries do not show the keywords in the gallery page.

Sorry for confusing things further Doc, I made it private when I thought SmugIslands would work in its stead. I have tested with the gallery public, no worky. BTW, unlisted is biggest PITA. rolleyes1.gif

Malte
    edited November 17, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    ...Now, for the original issue, I am pretty sure I bugged that last night. Someone else had reported it. I am not sure why it is happening but it is weird.

Would this mean SmugIslands don't have to be changed?

Malte
    edited November 18, 2009
    jfriend wrote:

You had it all along, John! Hello smuggers needed to be set to "No - make me an island" instead of "No - Total lockdown". thumb.gif

Malte
    edited November 18, 2009
    docwalker wrote:

The more I think about this, the more it grinds my gears. :smo Why not? The description of public in the gallery settings is "Show this gallery on your homepage?" The help says if unlisted, a gallery can still be shared with a direct link. So the gallery is hidden, not protected. Why are the keywords protected?

Malte
    edited November 18, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    The more I think about this, the more it grinds my gears. :smo Why not? The description of public in the gallery settings is "Show this gallery on your homepage?" The help says if unlisted, a gallery can still be shared with a direct link. So the gallery is hidden, not protected. Why are the keywords protected?

Malte
    Because if keywords can be searched and images found, then the images/gallery are not hidden very well and can be discovered without you giving out a direct link. The idea behind an unlisted gallery is that it cannot be found unless you give out the link.

Your situation can be solved by making it public and using a script to remove it's thumbnail from the homepage. Then, because it's public, keywords can be used.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 19, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Because if keywords can be searched and images found, then the images/gallery are not hidden very well and can be discovered without you giving out a direct link. The idea behind an unlisted gallery is that it cannot be found unless you give out the link.

Your situation can be solved by making it public and using a script to remove it's thumbnail from the homepage. Then, because it's public, keywords can be used.

I hear what you're saying, if you keyword photos specifically enough, Google would find them. But for everyday use I'd say they're still pretty darned obscure. Easier to find than URL-guessing, but if I tag a photo "dog" "jump" "fence" it would still be a needle in a haystack to hit my particular photo from Google. It seems to me the use of unlisted would have had to have changed alot since it was difined as don't show on homepage.

Malte
    edited November 19, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    I hear what you're saying, if you keyword photos specifically enough, Google would find them. But for everyday use I'd say they're still pretty darned obscure. Easier to find than URL-guessing, but if I tag a photo "dog" "jump" "fence" it would still be a needle in a haystack to hit my particular photo from Google. It seems to me the use of unlisted would have had to have changed alot since it was difined as don't show on homepage.

Malte
    The point is pretty simple. If it's unlisted, it should to be findable in any way except by you giving out the URL. Any search that could find it (whether a needle in a haystack or not) breaks the promise of unlisted. If the searcher knows what the content is about, it might be a very easy search that finds it. For this reason, unlisted galleries are not indexed for search. FYI, I'm just explaining why it is the way it is. I'm not with Smugmug so there's no point in arguing with me to change it.

If you want it indexed, but don't want it displayed in your browsable homepage, there are ways to do that by making it public, but then hiding it from the homepage browsing. Then, it can be indexed. It is a bit less hidden at that point, but that sounds like what you want.
    --John
    HomepagePopular