headshots

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited November 18, 2009 in People
of my girl. and a baby at the end just because. I was using a white wall as a background and I put a second light behind to light the wall, but a lot of the shots ended up with a big blown out circle behind my subjects. hmmm...obviously I didn't have something set up right. These don't have that problem but the wall is not white like I wanted it to be. Tips for using that technique??

cc welcomed...thanks

715212907_Q8qxY-L.jpg

715213115_GMEkh-L.jpg

715213742_X5k8C-L.jpg

and the baby...
715212626_CoWBN-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Really, really, sweet shots.

How did you have the background light set up?

-a
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Melissa, the lighting in the 1st 2 shots are touch flat imo but that 3rd shot is lovely. thumb.gifwings.gif Can you tell us more about the lighting setup in the last shot? Perosnally I like it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • sparky675sparky675 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    the look in the 2nd shot is fantastic. have you done much post work on the shot?
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Oh they are precious!!! Love the second shot especially.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    thanks guys! I really like the look in 2 also :)

Andrew and Daniel-

I was in my stepsons room, and I had pulled the bed out from the wall and set a flash on the ground pointing at an angle at the wall. Then I had another flash with an umbrella camera right, foamboard to the left. The kids were on the bed. I think the flash may just have been too close to the wall. I'll post one in a little bit to show you how the wall was really blown. That was the setup of the baby shot. The first 3 shots were done a little later, I pointed the flash more upward instead of directly at the wall, which I think may have contributed to the slight flatness of the light. The first three were that way. maybe they need a little more adjusting in PP?

Sparky-Not really... In the first two, a little cropping, and small wb adjustment in lightroom. 3rd a little more was done for the b&w, and 4 I had to work on a little more to recover the blown wall in the background.
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    move your background light away from the wall... it'll spread the spill of light.

I love the expression in #1.. I think cropping out the left side of the fame, past her ear, and bringing the top of the frame down (yes cutting into hear hair), it would make it stand out.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe